Update - The 24-hour book collection service
The 24-hour book collection service as previously offered has now been replaced with our ‘Available Holds’ service, the number of holds available to each student is 10.
When searching the library catalogue you will see a button at the top of the screen that says ‘Request item.’ Click on this link and complete the form with your user ID and password. When the item is ready for collection it will be placed on the ‘Reserved Items’ shelf in the Reading Room, filed under your surname/family name.
When you receive the email to say your item is ready to collect just go along to the Reading Room, find your item then issue it using the self-service terminal.
We are happy to support any student with accessibility issues with collecting the item from the Reading Room, please see a library assistant at the Welcome Desk.
Requests received before 10am will be available to collect from noon and those received before 3pm will be available from 5pm for collection, 7 days of the week.
All students registered with Disability Services are entitled to additional support from the Library, including:
- access to a range of adaptive/assistive technologies housed in the Libraries
- our information points now have a zoom feature which can be accessed by holding down Ctrl +/- on the keyboard
- 24 hour loan periods are extended to 48 hours.
- 8 week loan periods are extended to 9 weeks.
- option for materials to be created in alternative formats.
In the Library you will find:
- Lifts fitted with sensors which detect anything in the way of the closing doors
- Lifts have an audible alarm in the case of emergency
- Emergency phones on all floors, connected directly to the Welcome Desk
- Hearing loop systems at the Welcome Desk
- Height adjustable desks
- Colour coded signs and floor plans
- Disabled toilets
- Low level catalogue terminal desks
- Low level printer in the Readng Room
- A CCTV unit on the ground floor
In the event of a building evacuation, if possible Library staff will help wheelchair users onto the fire-proof staircases, and will then alert the Library Safety Officer and emergency services of the need for further assistance. Staff at the Welcome Desk will be happy to note where you are planning to work if you provide this information on entering the building.