Alternative Formats service

If you have a reading impairment you may need books in an accessible format. The Library’s ever-increasing collection of e-books can be useful for this. (See the advice below on how to make electronic resources, including e-books, more accessible.)

If e-books are still not accessible to you, you may be eligible to use the Alternative Formats service.

What is the Alternative Formats service?

Books and journal articles in an alternative format are usually PDF files which can be viewed on a computer screen and read aloud using screen reading technology. They also enable you to change the format of the book e.g. text size, font style and colour.

The Learning Support Officer can show you how to get the most from them using specialist software, such as JAWS or Read and Write, to ensure they meet your access requirements. We can also show you how to scan, make audio files, and use the features within PDF files so you can use the reading materials in a more flexible way to suit your needs.

Am I eligible to use the Alternative Formats service?

The Disability Advisers in Student Services will assess your needs for the Alternative Formats service as part of your Assessment of Needs / Reasonable Adjustment Plan.  If you haven't been recommended this service but feel you would benefit from it, contact your Disability Adviser to have your needs assessed. Contact Student Services.

How do I get something in an alternative format?

There are two principal sources of alternative-format materials:

The alternative-format files from these websites are for your own personal use and should not be further copied or shared with other students.



Conditions of use for SensusAccess

SensusAccess allows students and staff to automatically convert documents into a range of alternate media. You can make an accessible copy if

  • you own the copyright (e.g. it's your own work)
  • you have permission from the copyright owner
  • the copyright has expired
  • you have a print disability or if it's for someone with a print disability

Students and staff may convert documents produced by The University of Hull in relation to course work and University activities, e.g. module handouts, course packs, lecture notes, without prior permission from the University. This does not include published works or material where the copyright owner is not the University, unless you have a print disability. Copies should be for personal use only. Please ask Library staff if you are unsure which documents can be converted.

Students with a print disability using SensusAccess need to agree that:

  • the copy won't be shared with others
  • you can't find a commercially available version in an appropriate format
  • and you abide by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act, 1988, Section 31A (Disabled persons: copies of works for personal use)