Extra services and information for students with disabilities and learning differences.
All students registered with Student Support are entitled to additional support from the Library, including materials created in alternative formats
Adaptive and assistive technologies are available on all library and university PCs. More information on assistive technologies available at the University of Hull.
In the Library you will find:
- Quiet / silent study zones
- Lifts fitted with sensors which detect anything in the way of the closing doors
- Lifts with an audible alarm in the case of emergency
- Emergency phones on all floors, connected directly to the Welcome Desk
- Hearing loop systems at the Welcome Desk and the skills and teaching rooms
- Height-adjustable desks on every floor of the Library
- Colour-coded signs and floor plans
- Accessible toilets on all floors with emergency alarms
- Low-level information points
- Information points have a zoom feature which can be accessed by holding down Ctrl +/- on the keyboard
- A magnifier on the 2nd floor of the Library
- 'Read-aloud' option when viewing eBooks from our two principal eBook suppliers (VLeBooks and ProQuest eBooks)
- A low-level printer in the Reading Room
- Coloured paper to print on (ask at the Welcome Desk)
- A low-level option for collecting laptops from the laptop lockers
- Noise-cancelling headphones and portable DVD players for loan from the Reading Room
- Reserved books can be collected from the Welcome Desk, if required
- Coloured overlay reading aids for loan from the Reading Room
In the event of a building evacuation, library staff will, if possible, help wheelchair users onto the fire-proof staircases, and will then alert the Library Safety Officer and emergency services of the need for further assistance.
Staff at the Welcome Desk will be happy to note where you are planning to work if you provide this information on entering the building.