How do I borrow things?
You can find books using the library search and borrow them by using the self-issue machines.
You can also recall and reserve books for later collection.
There are separate self-issue machines for laptop loans.
How long can I borrow an item for?
- The loan periods for books and other items vary according to the demand for them
- Some items, such as those contained in the reference collection, may not be borrowed at all
- The Reading Room contains the High Demand Collection (HDC). Items in the HDC may have a one-week or four-week loan period
- The majority of books outside of the HDC can be borrowed for eight weeks
- Four-week and eight-week loan items may be recalled if another library user requests them. If so, you will be notified by email and given 7 days to return the item.
How many items can I borrow?
The number of items per membership type are noted below, you can borrow this many items at any one time throughout the year. Items refer to books, journals, laptops, DVDs etc.
|Type of borrower||Number of items|
|Associate members including University of Hull graduates
Please note: Associate Members may not use 24 hour loan items
|Registered students of the University of Hull (undergraduates)
|Students studying for higher degrees through taught programmes or by dissertation
|Students studying for higher degrees by thesis including unregistered research students with retained status
|Members of staff of the University, recognised teachers of the University, honorary members of staff and retired members of staff
What if I can't come to the Library to collect an item?
You can request items be mailed to you if you are a distance or part-time learner.