Students walking on campus

Money Advice

Whether you're experiencing financial difficulties or simply looking for a better way to manage your money, we can help.

Our dedicated financial support team can provide you with assistance and advice to get you back to where you want to be whilst our Money Doctor budget calculator can set you on the right track to managing your money at any stage.

Hardship support Fund

The Hardship Support Fund is a limited fund for U.K/Home students which offers support to supplement your statutory funding entitlement. If you require further information please email

Short term loans

Loans are only available when registered for 2017/18.

If you do not receive your student funding on time, you may be eligible to apply for a short-term loan. You will need to supply evidence of your student funding application, four weeks up to date bank statements and evidence to support the request for your loan.

To apply for a loan, please visit the central hub desk on the 1st floor of Student Central. call 01482 462020 to speak to or arrange to meet with an advisor, or email us at

Help with travel and food costs

Bus cards are available for students facing short term difficulties with travel costs due to unforeseen circumstances. We can also provide food vouchers for Home/UK students facing immediate financial difficulty.

Contact to apply, and provide 4 week's up to date bank statements.

Grants and Bursaries

The University offers various grants and bursaries, depending on your circumstance - from child grants to young adult carers' and care leavers. If any of these apply to you, it's definitely worth getting in touch. You don't need to do this alone.

Take a look at where you may be able to get some extra funds.

Financial Support Team contacts:

1st Floor Student Central

T: 01482 462020

Opening hours 9:00am - 5:00pm (4:00pm on Fridays)

Hull University Union Advice Centre
1st Floor, Student Central (students' union building)

T: 01482 466263


Our vision is to nurture and develop student sport at the University - creating exciting oppurtunities for our students to compete in local, regional, national and international sporting competitions.

The Sports Development team have partnered with Student Support Services  to make this happen. We can now offer funding to help with the costs of participating in elite-level competitions.

Funding is available to any student or staff member preparing to compete in a notable sporting event. For more info, or to express an interest, please email Oliver Wheatley with details of the competition and what steps you've taken to get there.


There are limited funds available for local students and international students from developing countries facing unforeseen circumstances affecting their finances. Please contact the Financial Support Team at should you wish to apply.

The Financial Support Team work closely with the University Immigration Team. If you are an International student and you would like to discuss how your financial situation may affect your further stay in the UK please contact our Immigration Advisers on

Humber Grant

If you’re a Young Adult Carer, Care Leaver or Estranged from your family and are thinking about coming to the University of Hull or are already studying with us, we offer a wide range of support to ensure you have the best possible student experience.

Download the Humber Grant brochure to find out more, or contact

stand alone pledge

As a University we are committed to providing support to all our students and recognise the differing needs and challenges that they face. We picture a dual, yet interconnected, journey of study and life recognising that sometimes specific circumstances can have a profound effect on a person's ability to manage and thrive. 

Through the development of our Humber Grant we have introduced a £1000 bursary for each year of study to help estranged students, and alleviate some of that financial stress. For more information contact Richard Grout or


Budgeting and advice

It's important to budget. Managing your money can ensure that you'll not only avoid any financial difficulties but will also give you a sense of comfort and enjoyment in what you do, knowing that you really can afford it.

The University of Hull Money Doctors budget calculator will help you get a real understanding of your cash flow to get you working towards where you want and need to be with your finances each month.

Debt advice

For free and confidential debt advice, contact StepChange on 0800 138 1111 (freephone) or visit

For local debt advice, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau at the Wilson Centre, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull. Call 01482 224608 or visit


For any benefit queries or a free benefits check, please contact the Hull University Advice Centre.

T: 01482 466263

Student funding

Are you receiving the correct amount of student funding? Check the calculator at​.