Formal Student Complaints

At the University of Hull we make every effort to ensure that all our students have a positive experience during their time here. We value the views of our students and welcome constructive feedback as this helps us improve.

As a student of the University of Hull you have the right to complain if you are dissatisfied with any aspect of your learning experience or other services received. The University defines a complaint as

an expression of dissatisfaction by one or more students about a university’s action or lack of action, or about the standard of service provided by or on behalf of the university.

 Your complaint must be raised within three months of the date on which the event complained about occurred, or on which you could reasonably be expected to have known about the matter.

 The Complaints Procedure has been designed to ensure that your complaint is handled as fairly, consistently and as quickly as possible. The following summarises the complaints procedure for students, which should be referred to alongside the full text of the Regulations, which can be downloaded here

Formal Resolution – Stage One (Departmental Complaint)


For further information relating to informal and formal complaints please contact the relevant Faculty or Service Area on;

Faculty of Arts, Culture and Education –FACEstudentcomplaints@hull.ac.uk

Faculty of Business, Law and Politics –FBLPstudentcomplaints@hull.ac.uk

Faculty of Science and Engineering –FOSE-complaints@hull.ac.uk

Faculty of Health Science –fhsstudentcomplaints@hull.ac.uk

Hull York Medical School –complaints@hyms.ac.uk

Graduate School – N.A.Shaw@hull.ac.uk

Estates – estatesfeedback@hull.ac.uk

Accommodation and Campus Services –accommodation@hull.ac.uk

Library Services – libhelp@hull.ac.uk

ICT – help@hull.ac.uk

Unsure which area to contact please refer your complaint to studentcomplaints@hull.ac.uk

Formal Resolution – Stage Two (University Complaints Investigation Officer)

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of the departmental complaint, you have the right to take your complaint to the University Complaints Investigation Officer within 14 days.

If your complaint meets the requirements as set out in the Regulations, the complaint will be referred to a Complaints Adjudication Panel within 35 days. The Panel will hear and determine your complaint and Completion of Procedures letter will be sent out to you within 14 days of the Panel being heard.

Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIA)

Ultimately, if your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction you have the right to take your complaint to the OIA, an independent body established under the Education Act 2004. Provided you have exhausted the University’s internal procedures you will be issued with a Completion of Procedures Letter which will include information about how to complain to the OIA. Further information about the OIA scheme can be obtained from the OIA website


Please contact the University Complaints Office on studentcomplaints@hull.ac.uk if you have any other queries regarding the Regulations or the Procedure.