Students in the Brynmor Jones Library

China Scholarship Council PhD Scholarships

How can
we help?

Get in touch

Tuition fees, living allowance and more

Study type
Postgraduate Research

Chinese PhD students

About this award

The University of Hull has a long history of participating in the China Scholarship Council (CSC) schemes. We are pleased to announce that applications to study a full-time PhD starting in September 2020 are now open to Chinese students in all subject fields.

Candidates successful in achieving the CSC scholarship, receive the following

  • The University of Hull will cover 100% of tuition fees during your PhD study*.
  • The China Scholarship Council will provide living allowance, a return international airfare between China and the UK and funding to cover passport and visa fees.

*Our standard PhDs are three years in duration with up to one year dedicated to the writing up of your thesis. Your offer letter and CAS (Certificate of Acceptance for Studies) will be four years in duration.

How to apply

  1. If you haven't identified your supervisor already, you can search the university website for academic staff to discuss supervision of your PhD. (Select your subject area to link to the relevant staff). Or, find out more about our research, including our research institutes.
  2. Once you find your preferred supervisor, you need to prepare a research proposal with their assistance and guidance. Guidance on how to write a research proposal is provided on our website.

  3. You must submit an online application by 14 February 2020 using MyAdmin.

    • Create a MyAdmin account and choose ‘Postgraduate Applicant – Create a Postgraduate Account’. You can then complete the online application form (this takes around 5 to 10 minutes and we provide plenty of guidance).
    • On the second page of your application, select “research” as the programme type and indicate that you are applying for the “CSC scholarship” using the drop-down menu. If you are unable to choose this, use the Research Topic field and type in CSC followed by your research topic title. 
  • On the last page of your application, you will need to upload supporting documents. You should upload the following

a) Copy of your full and most recent academic transcript in Chinese and its official translation into English.

b) Research proposal

c) Current CV

d) Personal statement explaining your interest in your chosen PhD research area, why you would like to study at the University of Hull specifically and what your career aspirations are. Guidance is available on our website.

e) Copy of your Bachelor Certificate and Graduation Certificate with a copy of their official translation into English if you have these already. Don’t worry if not.

f) At least one recent academic reference provided on official institutional headed paper with full details of your referee, their contact details and signature. 

g) Copy of your passport you are using to make your Tier 4 visa application.

h) Copy of your most recent academic IELTs test results. We require academic IELTS with minimum 6.0 overall (with 5.5 in each skill), or other accepted qualification.

As a minimum, you must include items a, b, c and d from the above before you can submit your application. Although you can supply the rest of your supporting documents later, please include as many as you can at the start as this will help us to make a decision on your application. 

The deadline to submit your application to the University of Hull is 14 February 2020.

We aim to inform you of our decision by 2 March 2020. However, applicants who apply early will receive our decision sooner. 


Find out more

If you have any questions about the scholarship or the application process, please contact us at

Other opportunities

We subscribe to the Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding, a resource for postgraduate students who are looking to fund PhD, Masters, and PGCE study in the UK through grants from charities, trusts, and foundations.

If you are a current student you can access this on campus or create an account using your university email address to search the funding database. If you are not yet a student you can email to request access.