Postgraduate entry requirements

Our pages include information for international students

Postgraduate taught and postgraduate research degrees

To study at postgraduate level, you must normally hold a minimum lower second class Honours degree, or equivalent, with higher requirement applicable to some courses. See our course pages for more details. 

Applicants who can demonstrate suitable expertise in their chosen area are also considered for many programmes.

PhD level study

For entry onto a PhD , applicants should have a Masters degree with a research training element, an excellent Honours degree with a research training element, or other significant research credentials.

Course-specific information

Some courses have different or additional entry requirements so it is important to check our postgraduate taught or postgraduate research course pages for specific information.

Research proposal

To be considered for a research degree your application must include your research proposal to enable us to decide if we can match up your interests with a research supervisor.

We encourage you to get in touch with a potential supervisor before you apply to ensure that you chose a research area in which the University has expertise.

All research students are required to take part in the Postgraduate Training Scheme run by the Doctoral College.

Find out about how to write a good research proposal

Proof of Qualifications

If you have been asked to provide proof of your qualifications, we will accept a copy of your official statement of results, certificate or transcript by email or post.

However, you will be asked to present the original document or a verified copy when you arrive at the University. Please see our policy on proof of qualifications for more information.

If your name has changed since your documents were issued, you will also need to provide evidence of this. For more details, please see our policy on providing evidence of a change of name.

English language skills

If you require a Tier 4 student visa to study or your first language is not English, you will need to provide evidence of your English language skills. Please refer to our English language requirements webpage.


If you have been asked for references, they must be on the University of Hull reference form or company letter-headed paper with an official stamp. References from family or friends are not accepted.

Those courses which require a reference will normally require an academic reference. Applications for MBA and NEBOSH programmes, also need an employment reference. University of Hull graduates progressing to postgraduate study do not generally need to provide references.