Visas and Immigration

Our expert team is here to offer information, support and guidance to help you with the visa application process and understand your visa conditions once you have received it.

How can we help?

We know that applying for a visa can be confusing, which is why we can offer dedicated immigration advice within the International Engagement & Compliance Team to help make the process as easy as possible.

Although immigration rules, application forms and fees tend to change, our team’s guidance will give you an idea of what you may need and allow you enough time to plan your Student Visa application, depending on your circumstances.

Applying for your Student visa

To understand more about when you should apply for your visa take a look at our application guides. Before you can make your application you must prepare your documentation. View our documentation guidance to see what documents you will need.

You may wish to speak to an education agent to help you apply for your visa. Find out more about our authorised agents on your country page.


If your visa application is refused, please contact us as soon as possible by raising ‘visa and immigration advice’ enquiry in MyHull Portal. Please remember to upload a full copy of the UKVI refusal letter/email and a copy of your visa application. To enable our team to provide you with further guidance and options, please provide any further information that we may request.

Have a question or want to make an appointment?

We provide free and confidential advice on a range of study-related immigration queries every step of the way. Make an enquiry on MyHull Portal or if you have not yet started your application to study with us please get in touch.

'This is Hull' sign on the side of the Brynmor Jones Library during an Open Day

MyHull Portal

University of Hull Open Day

Get in touch

Understanding your visa

When you receive your visa you must continue to meet your visa conditions throughout your period of study with us. These conditions include keeping your university record up-to-date, maintaining your study conditions, reporting any changes during your studies, part-time work and more. This is sometimes referred to as ‘visa compliance’.

English language

For visa purposes you will need to meet the English language entry requirements for your chosen programme. We accept a range of English language qualifications and we offer pre-sessional English language courses to help you meet these requirements.

Katrina Rae reading in the Brynmor Jones Library

Understand the English language requirements


Discover pre-sessional English support

All you need to know about Schengen visas

  • Do I need a Schengen visa to travel to Europe during my studies in the UK?

    If you want to travel to Europe during your stay in the UK, you may be required to apply for a Schengen visa before you travel.

    At present, 26 countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) have signed up to the Schengen scheme: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands (Holland), Norway, Poland. Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

    The UK is not a Schengen territory and the visa cannot be used to enter this country.

  • Do I need to apply for a Schengen visa if I am travelling to the UK via Europe?

    Please check with the country you are travelling through whether you need to obtain the Airport travel visa in advance of your travel.

  • Do I need a Schengen visa?

    If you wish to enter a Schengen country, you'll need to check whether you need a visa.

    If you’re from one of the following countries or territories, you are NOT required to apply for a Schengen Visa:

    Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Macau, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, United States, Uruguay, Vatican City and Venezuela.

    Please check with the website of the Embassy of the country to intend to travel to whether you need a visa and what their visa application process is.

  • What types of Schengen visa are there?

    There are different types of Schengen visas:

    • The airport transit visa allows you to transit through the international transit area in one of the Schengen member state’s airports. This visa will not allow you to exit this area before flying to your next destination.
    • The transit visa enables you to travel through the territory of one or more Schengen member states on your way to another country outside of the Schengen area. It is usually issued for up to 5 days.
    • The short stay/ travel visa allows you to stay in the Schengen area for up to three months in any six months period. If you intend to travel around the Schengen area as a tourist or visit your friends there or attend a conference, this is the visa you will need to apply for.

    You can also submit an application for multiple entry visas. This allows you to travel more than once into the Schengen space during a three month period.

  • How much does a Schengen visa cost?

    The charge for obtaining a Schengen visa will vary depending on which country is issuing it. You should apply either to the embassy of the country you plan to spend the most time in, or the country you will go to first.

    Each embassy produces its own application form for the visa and you will need to contact the appropriate authority by telephoning their enquiry number to ask them to send a form out to you. Some embassies' forms are available on their website. Be careful to find the official embassy website rather than an agency website.

  • What do I need to apply for a Schengen visa?

    Each Embassy website will list the specific documents they need to see before issuing you with a Schengen visa.

    The following documents are recommended:

    • A completed application form
    • An original passport/travel document containing your visa; or your original passport AND your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), if you have one
    • 2 x passport size photographs (must be taken within the last 1 month)
    • Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your trip, this varies between each Embassy and is approximately £40-£60 per day of your visit.
    • Evidence of Student Status: You can apply download a Student Status Certificate from your MyHull Portal, or you can collect one at the Central Hub, 1st Floor, Student Central
    • Proof of purpose of the visit, e.g. invitation letter from friend or family member/tour booking/hotel booking/conference invitation.
    • Confirmation of all of your flight/rail bookings
    • A written itinerary of your travel plans;
    • Medical insurance to cover your entire trip
    • The visa fee - approximately £50 (check with the Embassy in advance whether you can pay by credit/debit card or whether you will need to take cash)
    • A photocopy of your application form and all of your supporting documents.

    Other Schengen visa Requirements

    • Each embassy has its own policy on how much leave (ie permission) to enter or remain in the UK applicants need to have beyond the term of their proposed trip. For example, you may be required to have a passport which is valid for at least three months longer than the proposed visa.
    • You may need to spend time waiting for the national authorities to process your passport renewal, it is therefore advisable to apply early.
    • Depending on your nationality, embassies may also require you to make your application in person.
  • Can the University help with Schengen visa applications?

    The International Engagement and Compliance Team has specialist knowledge of the UK immigration system and is able to answer questions about visas for the UK. We aren’t able to help with the immigration processes and visa applications for other countries, and this includes Schengen visa applications.

    The UKCISA website has more information to help you.

The Graduate Route

The Graduate Route visa is a permission to stay in the UK following successful completion of your degree programme. It is a post-study work visa that gives you an opportunity to work or look for work for 2 years after your Bachelor’s or Master’s award or for 3 years following a Doctoral qualification award.

We are excited to see many of our graduates take up exciting new opportunities through this route.

Students whose period of study in the UK meets the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Graduate Route visa:

  • Be in the UK on a Student visa
  • Be awarded a degree your CAS was issued for
  • Have paid all outstanding course fees
  • Have received notification from the International Engagement and Compliance Team that UKVI has been informed of your successful completion of studies
  • Have prepared relevant documents and have met other UKVI requirements

You can learn more about the Graduate Route on the UK Government website as well as other types of work visas.