Applying for a Student visa inside the UK

Guidance on applying for a Student visa inside the UK in to start a new programme or complete your current programme.

This page is for students who are currently inside of the UK. If you're outside the UK, you can find our guidance here.

When to apply

You can apply for a Student visa 3 months before the start of your new course if you are applying from inside the UK. Your new course must start within 28 days of your current visa expiry date. We recommend checking the UK Government website for full details on all visa-related timelines.

Important: If you are applying from within the UK you will need to complete and submit your visa application before your current visa expires and you must apply before you enrol onto your new programme of study. Please note that it is not always possible to submit your new visa application in the UK. Contact our team as soon as possible for further guidance.

Step by step Student visa application guide

You will need to complete the following steps before you can apply for your visa online.

1. Check which visa application to complete on the UK Government website

2. Start preparing documents in support of your visa application and ensure they meet current UKVI requirements

3. Accept your offer to study at the University of Hull (if you are applying to start a new programme)

4. Meet all the conditions in your offer and pay a deposit (if applicable)

5. Receive your CAS. Your CAS will be sent to your portal by the Admissions team if you are starting a new programme of study. If you need a CAS in order to complete your current programme, please submit a CAS request form from the ‘Useful Forms’ section of MyHull Portal.

6. Ensure that your documents meet current UKVI requirements and submit your online visa application to the UK Government website.

Next steps

After you have applied for your visa online there are a number of additional steps to consider.


You may be invited to take part in a credibility interview before you can receive your new visa (permission to stay in the UK). You will also be issued with a letter/email with details of your visa dates and conditions attached to your new permission to stay in the UK.

Receiving your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit)

Your new BRP will be sent to the UK postal address that you provided on your Student visa application. Please ensure that this address is accurate. If you receive your new BRP before you enrol on your new programme, please remember to bring it with you to your enrolment event. If you receive your new BRP after you enrol on your programme, please bring it to the Central Hub, 1st floor, Student Central for it to be scanned and uploaded to your student record.

Digital Immigration Status

If you applied for your visa using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app, you will be able to view your visa immigration status (permission to enter and stay in the UK) online. In order to view and/or to prove your immigration status, you will need details of your passport (ID document) that you used to apply for your Student visa, your date of birth and your mobile number/email address that you used when you applied for your visa. You will be given a ‘share code’ that our team will need in order to check your immigration status.

Understanding your visa

Find out more about your visa conditions.

English language

For visa purposes you will need to meet the English language entry requirements for your chosen programme. We accept a range of English language qualifications and we offer pre-sessional English language courses to help you meet these requirements.

Katrina Rae reading in the Brynmor Jones Library

Understand the English language requirements


Discover pre-sessional English support