Applying for a Student visa outside the UK

Guidance on applying for a Student visa outside the UK in to start a new programme or complete your current programme.

This page is for students who are currently outside of the UK. If you're inside the UK, you can find our guidance here.

When to apply

You can apply for a Student visa 6 months before the start date of your new course if you are applying from outside the UK. If you are applying for your Student visa in order to resume your current course, you need to apply in good time in order not to miss your studies. We recommend checking the UK Government website for full details on all visa-related timelines.

Step by step Student visa application guide

You will need to complete the following steps before you can apply for your visa online.

1. Check which visa application to complete on the UK Government website

2. Start preparing documents in support of your visa application and ensure they meet current UKVI requirements

3. Accept your offer to study at the University of Hull (if you are applying to start a new programme)

4. Meet all the conditions in your offer and pay a deposit (if applicable)

5. Receive your CAS. Your CAS will be sent to your portal by the Admissions team if you are starting a new programme of study. If you need a CAS in order to complete your current programme, please submit a CAS request form from the ‘Useful Forms’ section of MyHull Portal.

6. Ensure that your documents meet current UKVI requirements and submit your online visa application to the UK Government website.

Next steps

After you have applied for your visa online there are a number of additional steps to consider.


You may be invited to take part in a credibility interview before you can receive your new visa (Entry Clearance vignette/permission to enter the UK). You will also be issued with a letter/email with details where to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card when you have arrived in the UK.


If you plan to bring any medication with you to the UK you may need permission. Some medication may contain substances that are classified as ‘controlled drugs’ in the UK. If your stay in the UK is for less than three months, you must bring a doctor’s letter when arriving in the UK with your medication. If your stay will be longer than three months, you must apply for licence in order to bring your medication with you. If any of the documents are not in English, please ensure that you have official translations attached to your medical information. We recommend you check the UK Government website for the most up to date list and more information on applying for a licence.

Collecting your BRP

Collecting your BRP from the University of Hull

Please enter the University of Hull ACL code (2HE437) on your visa application form to collect your BRP from the University.

We recommend you choose to collect your BRP at the University of Hull because you can do during your in person enrolment process. You will also need your passport and details of your UK address and telephone number.

If you applied for your new permission to enter the UK in order to complete your current programme, please contact our team to check whether we received your BRP.

We can also help you if there are any errors on your BRP, or if there is a delay in the delivery of your BRP.

Collecting your BRP from the local Post Office

If you choose to collect your BRP from the local Post Office, your UKVI letter will have the address and the date your BRP will be available from. It is important that you collect your BRP as soon as possible and check that all the details are correct. You will need your passport, UKVI letter/email, your UK address and contact number to enable you to collect it. Please note, you must still bring your passport and BRP to the International Engagement & Compliance Team in order to enrol on your course. Please also be aware that Post Office staff will be unable to help you report BRP errors or delays.

If you applied for your new permission to enter the UK in order to complete your current programme, please bring your new BRP to the Central Hub, 1st floor, Student Central as soon as you collect it from the Post Office. We need to scan your new BRP and upload it to your student record.

Digital Immigration Status

If you applied for your visa using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app, you will be able to view visa your immigration status (permission to enter and stay in the UK) online. In order to view and/or to prove your immigration status, you will need details of your passport (ID document) that you used to apply for your Student visa, your date of birth and your mobile number/email address that you used when you applied for your visa. You will be given a ‘share code’ that our team will need in order to check your immigration status.

English language

For visa purposes you will need to meet the English language entry requirements for your chosen programme. We accept a range of English language qualifications and we offer pre-sessional English language courses to help you meet these requirements.

Katrina Rae reading in the Brynmor Jones Library

Understand the English language requirements


Discover pre-sessional English support