Our Pre-Sessional English courses help international students achieve two objectives:
- Demonstrate the level of English required for their main programme of study.
- Develop key academic skills in English such as essay writing, referencing sources, critical thinking, delivering presentations, and participating in seminars.
The courses are structured so that the majority of classes take place in the morning, so you'll have time in the afternoon to focus on extended learning and assignments. The 6 and the 10 week courses follow the same format:
Daily teacher led group classes
Weekly one-to one tutorial with their class tutor
Extended group tasks with other students.
Access to additional practice and self-study resources.
Regular feedback on their progress and personalised guidance from their tutor.
During the course, you will be evaluated on how well you perform in the following areas:
- Researching and writing an essay on an assigned academic topic including planning and draft submissions.
- Responding to questions in a face to face interview.
- Contributing to a group seminar discussion on an assigned academic topic.
- Participating in the course, identifying appropriate learning goals, and reflecting on the progress you have made.
Our on-campus Pre-Sessional English courses are a great way to discover and experience life in the UK, meet new people and make new friends.
As part of the on-campus experience, students get:
- A varied social programme.
- Visits to local places of interest including the historic city of York.
- Unlimited access to the Allam Sports Centre gym.
- Full access to library and computing facilities.
- Free enrolment on Bridging the Gap.