Page updated: 10th November 2020
If you wish to study in the Library you must book a specific seat in advance. We are unable to offer walk-in access for study space.
All of our available bookable seats are numbered by their floor, space and location. If you want to know where your seat is located, please look at the floor maps below. You will need to check in and check out of your seat as you arrive and leave. Failure to check in will lose your booking. Instructions for check in and check out are sent to your email address when you book a seat.
If you book a desk without a computer, you can borrow a laptop from our laptop loans cabinet located on the first floor of the Library. Laptops will issue for a maximum of 8 hours or until the end of the day (whichever is sooner). Cleaning supplies are provided.
Private study rooms (formerly known as group study rooms) can be used to attend a virtual lecture or for video conferencing. Each room has a maximum occupancy of 2. If you need a private study room, please contact the Library or talk to a member of staff.
About our bookable seats
Find out where our bookable seats are and which have a computer:
Check in and check out
When you arrive at your booked seat or space, you must check in. You can do this by following the link in your confirmation or reminder email.
Alternatively, you can check in by scanning the QR code on the seat or space. If you are unable to scan the QR code, simply visit the Seat and Space Bookings Portal. For both these methods, you will need the three digit code that was emailed to you on booking.
Scanning a QR code is really easy on most Apple and Android mobile phones - just point your camera app at the code. Some older mobiles will require you to install an app to do this, simply search 'QR reader' on the Google Play or Apple App Store to find an app.
This service is only available for University of Hull students and staff. At this time we are unable to offer bookable seats to day visitors, Sconul members, or Associate Members.
Please check the opening hours to see when bookable study space is available.
Library seats are deep cleaned daily by our cleaning team; however, this may not coincide with customer bookings. Cleaning materials are available for customers to clean their space before and after use.
On the day of your seat booking
- Please enter the Library through the south entrance (cafe side).
- Face coverings are required on entry to, exit from, and when moving around the library, in line with government recommendations.
- A member of staff will be located inside the entrance and will confirm your appointment to allow entry.
- To prevent queues, please arrive at your allocated appointment time.
- On arrival at your seat, you must check in to the space.
- If you fail to check in within 30 minutes of your expected arrival time your booking will be cancelled by the system.
- If you require a change to your scheduled appointment time, please contact us via Livechat, Facebook or Twitter.
- Please observe social distancing during your visit.
- There is a one-way system throughout the building, please follow the directional arrows and signage to your reserved study space.
- Marked printers will be available for use.
- If, during your stay, you require any Library materials, please contact us via Livechat, Facebook, Twitter or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Toilet facilities will be clearly marked and available on each floor.
- Hand sanitising units will be placed throughout the building for your use.
- Seats must be vacated promptly at the end of each booking. Padding has been applied between each booking to facilitate social distancing.
We ask that you do not attend any appointments if you are feeling unwell or have any symptoms of Covid-19.