Domestic Abuse

Women’s Aid define Domestic abuse as an incident, or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent behaviour, including sexual violence.

In the majority of cases, a partner or ex-partner perpetuates it, but it can also be by a family member of carer.

It is very common and can affect anyone, but it is never the victims fault. Domestic abuse is not always physical and can include, but is not limited to;

  • Financial or economic abuse
  • Online or digital abuse
  • Psychological or emotional abuse
  • Coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
  • Physical or sexual abuse
  • Harassment or stalking

It is incredibly difficult and dangerous to leave an abusive relationship, as abusers often (but not always) strip away an individual’s support network, finances and resources that would enable them to leave. They will often destroy the individual’s self-worth and self-esteem, making them believe that they cannot leave and they can threaten violence and death if the individual attempts to leave.


If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999. If you are on campus, you can call our campus security team 24/7 365 days a year on 01482 465 555.

In danger and need the police but unable to speak?

  1. Dial 999
  2. Listen to the questions from the 999 operator
  3. Respond by coughing or tapping the handset if you can (make yourself heard in any way possible)
  4. When prompted, press 55

This alerts the operator that there is a genuine emergency and you will be put through to the police immediately.

White Ribbon

The University of Hull is proud to be a White Ribbon Supporter Organisation.

White Ribbon is the leading UK charity supporting men and boys to end violence against women and girls. Their mission is to prevent violence by changing harmful attitudes, systems and behaviours around masculinity that allow gender inequality to continue and perpetuate men’s violence against women. As a University in partnership with White Ribbon, we encourage everyone, especially men to make the White Ribbon pledge to never commit, excuse or remain silent about male violence against women. You can make the pledge here.

Reporting Options

There are several ways you can report Domestic Abuse. Whether you report and who you report to is completely your choice, we will support you whatever you decide.

If you are not in immediate danger, you can call the police on 101 to make a report and a Police Officer will arrange to meet with you to take a statement. If you are in immediate danger you can call 999 for assistance.

If the perpetrator is a student at the University of Hull, then you can also report to the University Student Misconduct Team. The easiest way to do this is by filling in a Pathways to Support form and a member of the Mental Health and Wellbeing Service will arrange an appointment with you, to complete the misconduct report form and provide support. More information about what this process entails and the possible outcomes are in the Sexual Misconduct, Violence and Harassment policy in the 'Training and Policies' section below. 


It can be difficult to talk about the abuse you are experiencing, but there are a number of ways to access support. The services below will believe what you are saying and offer support. You can also contact these services if you are worried about a family member or friend who you believe may be being abused.

A comprehensive list of local and national support services can be found here.

Mental Health and Wellbeing Service

Our Mental Health Practitioners offer a free, confidential and non-judgemental listening and advice service online and on campus. If you have experienced domestic abuse or are worried about someone who may be experiencing abuse, you can contact the team for an appointment.

To access support please complete our Pathways to Support form.

As well as offering direct support and signposting to additional help, a Mental Health Practitioner can liaise with academic areas about any academic concerns you have, to ensure that support is in place from all areas of the University.

Domestic Abuse Partnership

DAP support anyone who is, or has been, in a domestically abusive relationship. The team consists of specialist practitioners who all have extensive knowledge and understanding of domestic abuse. They provide emotional support, housing advice, legal and safety planning, plus much more. They work closely with the University of Hull to ensure that our students are safe and supported.

Telephone number: 01482 318759

Hull DAP Male Victim Support service: 01482 613978

DAP website

Hull Women’s Aid

Hull Women’s Aid support women and children who are experiencing/fleeing domestic abuse, by providing safe accommodation, telephone and direct advice and individual support to any woman who requests it. They are able to have appointments with students on campus at any time, should you prefer this to meeting them elsewhere.

Telephone number: 01482 446099

Helpline: 0800 048 9944


Women's Aid website

Training and policies

Sexual Misconduct, Violence and Harassment Policy and disclosure procedure

Student Disciplinary Regulations

Code of Student Conduct

Information on the non-academic misconduct process

Student Consent Training

#NeverOk campaign

Domestic Abuse awareness training (delivered both online and in person) is available for all University of Hull staff via Staff Development and the Learning Development portal.