Students on the University of Hull campus

Financial support

Struggling to make ends meet? Or just want to budget better?

Talk to us today. We will do everything we can to help.

Our dedicated financial support team can provide you with assistance and advice to get you back to where you want to be.

University of Hull students


Why should you budget? For one, your student loan is paid in three big chunks, rather than a steady stream every month. Planning how to make this last each term can help you avoid spending too much, too soon, and getting into financial trouble later on.

It can also help you prepare for emergencies or save up for something big. And it’s an investment. If you get into the habit now, you’ll be set for life.

Plus, you’ll just start to feel better. Taking back control of your spending means less time worrying about what you’ve not got, and more time enjoying what you have.

Are you receiving the correct amount of student funding? Use this calculator to find out.

Our top 10 quick and easy budgeting tips
  1. Shop around for a student bank account. Look for ones that are 0% on overdrafts.
  2. Ask yourself: Do I need it? Is it cheaper somewhere else? Will I really use it?
  3. Be thrifty. Don’t buy new books – borrow or buy second hand. 
  4. Invest in a reusable water bottle and fill up from the water fountains around campus.
  5. Learn to cook some basic cheap meals.
  6. Make a packed lunch every day instead of buying expensive lunches and meal deals. 
  7. Don’t commit to anything long term when you first get to university, like gym memberships and mobile phone contracts. 
  8. Shop around for the best deals on everything you buy.
  9. Start looking for part-time work before starting university.
  10. Put your maintenance loan into a savings account, and transfer a weekly/monthly budget from it to your current account.
Grants and bursaries

We know that university can be expensive. That's why we have a wide range of grants, scholarships and bursaries available. They are separate from student loans. And the best bit is that you don’t pay a penny back! Find out more about what's on offer here.

Child Grant

For students who commenced their studies in 2023, £200 per child is available to undergraduate UK students with an annual residual household income of £25,000 or less and who have children aged 16 or under (or up to 19 years if in full-time education) and are receiving Child Benefit.

Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students Allowance helps to pay for any extra study-related costs that you might incur at University because of a disability. If you need a computer or laptop, we'll contribute £200 towards the cost. And we can help you apply too. Find out more about Disabled Student Allowance.

Northern Dairies Educational Trust

Limited funds are available for local and international students from developing countries facing unexpected or exceptional financial difficulties, through the Northern Dairies Educational Trust.

If you are an International student facing financial hardship you should contact the Financial Support Team by visiting MyHull and explain your circumstances. If you're eligible we'll send you details on how to apply.

If you're an International student and you would like to discuss how your financial situation may affect your further stay in the UK please contact our Immigration Advisers at

Sports Excellence Representation Programme

Our vision is to nurture and develop student sport at the University - creating exciting opportunities for our students to compete in local, regional, national and international sporting competitions. We can offer funding to help with the costs of participating in high-level competitions.

Funding is available to any student preparing to compete in a notable sporting event. To find out more, email with details of the competition and what steps you've taken to get there.

Young adult carer, care leaver or estranged - Humber Grant

If you’re aged under 25 and are a carer, a care leaver or are estranged from your family, we offer a wide range of support to ensure you have the best possible University experience. Find out more about the Humber Grant.

Hardship support fund

The Hardship Support Fund is a limited, means-tested fund for UK/Home students (who receive maintenance funding from Student Finance England) and are experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties. To apply you must be enrolled and have received the first instalment of your student funding (if applicable). It is expected that you have accessed all financial support available to you prior to applying to the Fund.

Your eligible income and expenditure over the academic year are calculated and if there is a deficit you will normally be made an award towards this. Applications will be submitted for checks to ensure you meet both internal and external guidelines of the Hardship Support Fund and review evidence before a decision is made. Any award made is a grant and does not need to be repaid.

Summer Fund

The Summer Fund comes under the Hardship Support Fund, and provides support specifically for the summer, covering the period from the end of your academic year up to enrolment week of the next year.

The Fund is for non-final year students:

  • with dependents
  • unable to work due to illness or disability and where other benefits are unavailable
  • who are eligible for the Humber Grant

Short term solutions

If you don't receive your student funding on time, you may be eligible to apply for a short-term loan. You will need to supply evidence of your student funding application, four weeks of up-to-date bank statements and evidence to support the request for your loan.

Food vouchers, bus cards and care packages may be considered alongside, and as an alternative to, a short-term loan.

Help with travel and food costs

We can also provide food vouchers and hardship packages for students in immediate financial difficulty, along with bus travel vouchers are available for students facing short-term difficulties with travel costs. Students will need to provide four weeks’ up-to-date bank statements. This help is available to UK and International students.

Discretionary funds

We have other limited funds available for students facing difficult or unforeseen financial circumstances, for example, homelessness, relationship breakdown or family bereavement.

For eligibility criteria, please see our myJourney Financial Support module. If you have any questions about the above funds, please contact the Financial Support Team in the myHull Portal.

Debt advice

No matter how large or small your debt problem is, StepChange can help. They will look at your financial situation and give you free and confidential debt advice and recommend debt solutions to suit your situation.

For local debt advice, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau. They are based at the Wilson Centre on Alfred Gelder Street and can offer face-to-face support, as well as advice by email or telephone. Find out more here.


If you have queries about benefits or would like a free benefits to check, the HUSU Advice Centre can help. Get in touch.

Hull Sport Participation Fund

The Hull Sport Participation Grant helps students participate in University of Hull extracurricular activities like sports, societies or 'Give it a Go 'sessions led by Hull University Students’ Union (HUSU), as well as Hull Sport sessions.

We welcome individual applications, to support students to connect with others and to try new activities on campus to enhance your student experience. The funding will help subsidize session costs so that you can participate in specific led sessions with either Hull Sport, Societies or Sports Clubs.

Student groups (Societies and Athletic Union (AU) Clubs) can also apply to the Participation Fund to facilitate/deliver new engagement activity linked to HUSU Give it A Go. The new activity should focus on attracting new participants that could potentially become members of either a society, sports club or Hull Sport on campus sessions.

The application process is competitive and not all applications will be successful.

Application process for an individual

We accept applications between September to April. You will be notified of the outcome of your application within two weeks of the application deadline.

The Grant is available to undergraduate students who are:

  1. A student with a residual household income of less than £25,000 as assessed by Student Finance England
  2. An international student
  3. A mature student (aged 25 or over on the first day of the current academic year)
  4. A student who has declared a disability
  5. Students eligible for our Humber Grant as a care leaver, young adult carer or those assessed as estranged by Student Finance England
  6. A student with dependents

Examples of what can’t be included: gym membership, physiotherapy, social events or trips.

Examples of what can be included: payment for you to take part in sessions led by Hull Sport or HUSU.

How to apply

Complete the application form.

Application process for a sports club or society

  1. You are eligible to apply as societies or AU Clubs if your engagement activity links to 'Give it a Go
  2. 'Takes place for at least 6 weeks

Examples of what can’t be included: socials, physiotherapy

Examples of what can be included: facility costs, equipment, tournament fees, coaching.

How to apply

Complete the application form.

If you are successful in the application, we will require an evaluation of how funding was spent, your successes and how many members you engaged during the six-week period.