HUBS Students on steps Derwent Exterior Landscape UNI_7286

Application Guide: Postgraduate Research

Follow this step-by-step guide for everything you need to know about applying for a postgraduate research degree at the University of Hull.

1. Research your course options

View our postgraduate research degrees to find more about the research we offer at Hull.

We also have a wide variety of scholarships at PhD level, learn more about our current scholarship opportunities.

2. Find  your supervisor

Once you’ve chosen your area of research, you should consider the research question you would like to explore. You should then contact one of the academics from your area of studies to find out if they would be available to supervise your research project. You should also discuss your research topic and supervision arrangements.

If you are applying for a postgraduate research scholarship your research topics and supervisors are usually pre-defined.

3. Make your application

Once you have confirmed your supervisor, agreed the research topic and supervision arrangements you should apply online by visiting your chosen research degrees programme page then clicking on the relevant link to apply.

When you have applied you can check the status of your application on MyHull Portal.

Visit your country page to find out more about country-specific entry requirements, visits and agents.

4. Accept your offer

When you have received your offer, if this is conditional you need to provide any required documents via the MyHull Portal and pay your tuition fee deposit, as detailed in your offer letter.

To apply for your visa you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). We will provide your CAS via the MyHull Portal at the earliest three months before your course start date.

The CAS will include details of tuition fees already paid or scholarships, so be sure to check it is correct. It will also include details of supporting documents to include in your visa application.

Apply for an ATAS certificate (if you need one – see your offer letter). The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) is operated by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office. It requires international students who intend to come to the UK to study on certain science and technology degrees to get approval through the scheme as part of the UK national security processes. Your offer letter will state if you need an ATAS certificate.

5. Apply for a visa

Check if you need a visa on the UK Government website.

We’re here to help you with your application and supporting documents – see our visa and immigration pages for a step-by-step guide to applying for a visa and get in touch with our immigration team for support with your application.

Many agents also support visa applications, even if you have not applied through them, and most often free of charge. Find more about agents in your country.

6. Apply for accommodation and pay tuition fees

Choose your accommodation. We have a range of accommodation options to suit all tastes and budgets. Once you have decided, book your accommodation here.

On-campus accommodation is single person only and there is no on-campus provision for families.

The University does not offer childcare.

Hull University Union have advice on student accommodation.

Visit our postgraduate fees and finance page to learn more about how and when to pay your fees.

7. Prepare for departure!

Check out our pre-arrival guide for everything you need to do to travel to Hull. We look forward to welcoming you to our postgraduate community.