Esk Building

Outside the UK and need a visa to complete my existing programme

Follow the steps below to obtain your Tier 4 student visa to study at the University of Hull.

1. Overview

You will need to apply for your next Tier 4 visa outside of the UK if you need more time to complete your current programme of study and cannot make your next visa application in the UK or it is more convenient for you to apply from outside of the UK.

It is a good idea to start checking which visa application to complete and what documents to prepare  before you leave the UK. Although immigration rules, application forms and fees tend to change, our guidance will give you an idea of what you may need and allow you enough time to plan your visa application.

If you have any questions or need support completing your application please get in touch with us – we’re happy to help!

2. Apply for a new ATAS (if you needed ATAS before and if you need more time to complete your programme)

Generally, ATAS applications are processed within a month and are valid for six months. However, this process may take longer during the busy periods, and there is no premium/fast track processing option. It is therefore important to allow plenty of time to obtain the certificate since your CAS will not be generated until the ATAS clearance is received.

An ATAS application includes a statement outlining your area of research/study. This statement must be the same as agreed with your supervisor and held on file at the University of Hull. Please apply for your ATAS as soon as your current programme is extended.

3. Get a new CAS number

If you need to make a new Tier 4 visa application to finish your course, please complete a CAS request form, which is available online or from the Central Hub (1st Floor, Student Central).

When you have completed the form you will need to hand it in at the Central Hub and make a payment of £21.00 using the University’s online order and payment portal. Your new CAS request will be processed by the visa compliance team

4. Receive your CAS statement

If your new CAS is issued, it will be emailed to your University and personal email addresses. It will also be emailed to the international engagement team so that they have a copy should you require their assistance when submitting your visa application.  Your CAS will be valid for a single visa application and has to be used within 6 months of being issued.

Check your CAS statement is correct

Please check your CAS email as soon as you receive it. Please ensure that all of the information is correct, including your personal, fees and course details. If you paid some or all of your tuition or accommodation fees to the University, and this information is incorrect or does not appear on your CAS, please contact our visa compliance team as soon as possible and before you make your visa application.


5. Prepare your visa supporting documents

It is important to ensure that all the documents in support of your visa application meet current visa requirements to avoid any delays and/or refusals. Please see our documents guidance for more information.

6. Check your Police Registration Certificate is up to date (if you have one)

If you already have a Police Registration Certificate, make sure that it is up-to-date with details of your current address, visa, your new passport (if you obtained one recently) and any other relevant details.

When you return to the UK and collect your new BRP, please remember to update your Police Registration Certificate with details of your new visa.

7. Complete your online visa application

To apply for your visa, you need to register on the UKVI website and complete your online application (unless you are applying from North Korea). Please ensure that all the information on your completed visa application matches that on any supporting documents and explain any discrepancies.

The date of your visa application is the date you pay your visa application fee. All of the documents must be ready by this date.

8. Pay for the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS)

If, as a result of your visa application, you will be staying in the UK for more than 6 months, you will need to pay an immigration health surcharge (IHS) as part of your Tier 4 visa application.

The amount payable depends on the length of your visa and not the length of your programme. IHS is £300 per year and is payable even if you have a private medical insurance.

9. Credibility interview

You may be interviewed by the UKVI (Home Office) as part of your Tier 4 visa application or upon your arrival to the UK. The purpose of the interview is to check whether you are a genuine student and have an adequate level of English.

You may be asked questions about how and why you chose the University of Hull and your programme of study; who is funding your studies; whether you looked into any accommodation; and asked to comment on your previous education or employment history, future plans and other relevant topics.

UKVI is more likely to interview you if there are discrepancies between the documents you provided or if they need to obtain further clarification from you in order to consider your visa application.

UKVI is required to check whether you meet their academic progression requirement and what your reasons are to continue studying

Depending on where you are, UKVI may telephone you and ask if you can answer some questions about your application. Alternatively, they can email you to arrange an interview at the set time and location. Please ensure that you check your emails on a regular basis (inbox, junk and spam folders). You could be interviewed via video link, by Skype or by telephone.

If you are invited for an interview, be ready to talk about the reasons why you want to study your chosen programme in detail.

If there are any problems with the signal or a quality of sound during the interview, please let the officer know.

It is important to answer all of the questions to the best of your knowledge, as you may be refused a visa or entry to the UK if the Immigration Officer finds that you are not a genuine student, or your English is not good enough for your intended level of study. If this happens or if you have any other queries about your interview, please contact our immigration team with details of your interview as soon as possible.

10. Enrol your biometrics details

You’ll be asked by the UK Government to provide your biometric information as part of your visa application when you attend your Visa Application Centre. 

11. New visa to travel to the UK

If your visa application is successful and you will be staying in the UK for more than 6 months, UKVI will issue you a one-month Entry Clearance (permission to enter the UK) in a form of a vignette (sticker in your passport) that will allow you enter the UK.

You will also be issued with a letter confirming the details of your visa and study with us and where to collect your BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) from. Please take a photo of this letter for your records and carry it in your hand luggage when travelling to the UK.

When you arrive in the UK, you will need to collect your BRP.  Please check your UKVI letter for further details.

12. Collect your visa (BRP card) once you’re in the UK

Your BRP card is a Biometric Residence Permit (visa) that confirms your right to be in the UK for the duration of your studies. When you receive your BRP, please check it to ensure that all of the details are correct. If there are any errors, please contact the immigration team for further assistance.


Collecting your BRP from the University of Hull

If you entered the University of Hull ACL code (2HE437) on your visa application form, you can collect your BRP from the University when you return to the UK to resume your studies.  Please remember to bring your passport and UKVI letter with you.


Collecting your BRP from the local Post Office

If you choose to collect your BRP from the local Post Office, your UKVI letter will have the address and the date your BRP will be available from. It is important that you collect your BRP on the date stated. You will need your passport, UKVI letter, your UK address and contact number to enable you to collect it.


When you collect your BRP:

  • Check it to ensure that all of the details are correct. If there are any errors, please contact our immigration team for further assistance.
  • Bring it to the Central Hub, 1st floor, Student Central to be scanned.
  • Comply with conditions of your visa as per UKVI decision letter.
  • If you are required to register with the police or already have  a Police Registration Certificate, please make arrangements to obtain it or to update your existing certificate.

Can't find what you're looking for? Get in touch

Our Immigration Advisors provide free and confidential support on a range of study-related immigration queries.

Immigration Team

Student Central (1st floor)

Students and Applicants please raise an enquiry in MyHull Portal

Prospective Students please email

+44(0)1482 462222