Job FAQs


What application format do you use

To make applying for a job with us as easy as possible, the entire application process is online. There is plenty of help available if you need it.

Where can I register for job alerts

We offer a free email service to alert you to jobs you may be interested in. You can register for job alerts at jobs.hull.ac.uk.

The job I want to apply for has a closing date - what time on that date do I need to apply by

All of our job vacancies close at 23.59 on the listed closing date.

What research roles do you have

The University is committed to supporting the needs and careers of researchers. All of our research roles are listed with our job vacancies.

Can I register for temporary work with the University

Yes, we have lots of part-time job opportunities. Please contact our temporary staffing service at tss@hull.ac.uk.

I am a student, can I work at the University

Yes, many of our students support their studies through part-time work. Please contact our temporary staffing service at tss@hull.ac.uk.

We also advertise  any part-time and casual work through Handshake

I have applied for a job, can I please have an update

We'll be glad to let you know how your application is going. Please contact the recruitment and contracts team for an update on hr@hull.ac.uk.

Has the shortlisting been completed as yet for a post

Our recruitment and contracts team should be able to give you the latest on shortlisting progress. Please contact them for an update at hr@hull.ac.uk.

Where is the University’s main reception

Our main reception is easy to find. It's in the Venn building, which is marked as No 53 on the campus map.

Where can I stay when I attend an interview

We have a range of hotels that we recommend for people coming from further afield for interviews. Please contact hr@hull.ac.uk and we'll send you a list.

What are the best schools in the area 

There are lots of great schools locally. You can find out about schools in Hull and in the East Riding of Yorkshire.


What holidays am I entitled to

Most employees receive a generous allowance of 25 days basic holiday, three additional days each for Christmas and Easter, plus Bank Holidays.

For details, please refer to your contract of employment or contact your HR advisor. If you don't know who this is, please contact HR reception at hr@hull.ac.uk.

What details do you have on pensions for the University

To help secure your future, we have a range of excellent pension schemes. For full details, please contact our pensions team, which is located in Unit 3A-D in Newland Science Park, or at payroll-pensions@hull.ac.uk.

New starters

I am not sure where I need to be or who my line manager is, it’s my first day at work.

Please check your job offer letter. This should give details of both your line manager, and where and when you need to report on your first day. If you can't find it, please contact HR reception on the first floor of the Venn building, at hr@hull.ac.uk or on 01482 466851.

Where are payroll and pensions

You'll find payroll and pensions in Unit 3A-D in Newland Science Park. They can be contacted at payroll-pensions@hull.ac.uk.

How can I obtain a car parking pass and where can I park

To make it easier for you to settle in, you will be given permit for your first week which will entitle you to park in any campus space marked ‘A’. If you wish to continue to travel by car, you can apply for a parking permit. There are a range of charges depending on the car park used. Car parks are clearly marked on our campus map.

You might like to think about joining our Liftshare scheme, which can help you find colleagues to travel to work with in a way that is both simple and affordable.

My staff card does not work.

Don't worry. We can help with that. Please contact HR reception on the first floor of the Venn building, at hr@hull.ac.uk or on 01482 466851.

If you need to access additional areas, this will need to be requested through Estates who can be contacted at estateshelpdesk@hull.ac.uk or on 01482 465084.

My IT access does not work.

Don't worry - speak to your line manager who will log a request with IT Services on your behalf.

I need a letter to open a bank account, for tenancy or to prove my employment.

We'll be glad to help if we can. Please contact HR reception on the first floor of the Venn building, at hr@hull.ac.uk or on 01482 466851.


Where can I obtain a payslip, a P45 or a P60

Staff can also access their own personal, contract and pay details through the MyHR Employee Self Service (ESS) system on SharePoint

What is my notice period

This depends on your role. Please refer to your contract of employment or contact your HR advisor.