Postgraduate study

How to apply

Like what you’ve seen and ready to take that next step?

Applying to Hull is quick and easy.

For most of our courses, you’ll apply online and directly to Hull. You can track your progress along the way and upload all the documents you need through our MyHull portal.

There are a few exceptions, though. Find out how to apply for our PGCE, MA Social Work or Hull York Medical School courses.


  1. If you’re new to Hull, you can apply via your chosen course webpage. This page also details the start date of the course. Most start in September, but some offer January and May starts.

  2. From there, you’ll need to set yourself up on our MyHull portal – just follow the instructions and email prompts. This is where you upload all your documents and submit your application.

  3. We’ll then assess your application. In some cases, you may need to join us for an interview or submit some work, e.g. a portfolio, as part of the process. This will be detailed on your chosen course page.

  4. We’ll let you know our decision. If you’ve yet to complete your undergraduate degree or are awaiting other results, we’ll usually make you a conditional offer. This means you have a place on your programme on the condition that you meet our entry requirements. If you have already met our entry requirements, we’ll make you an unconditional offer.

  5. Welcome to the University of Hull!  At the beginning of term, join our university-wide welcome event, get to know the university and meet your peers.

To make life easier, we have a streamlined application process for final year students.

All you need to do is email with your full name, date of birth, address, student number and the name of the programme you wish to apply for and we will do the rest.

If there’s a Hull representative in your country, you may be able to apply through them. If not, contact our international office at who are here to help.

Our team can give you advice about studying and living in Hull, along with visa and immigration queries. If you need a study visa to study in the UK, you’ll need to allow 3-4 weeks to complete this process.

We recommend contacting a supervisor to discuss your research proposal before making an application.

Find a research degree in your chosen subject and follow the application links.

You will need to provide a personal statement as part of your application.

If you are applying for a specific research scholarship you should use the personal statement to explain succinctly, why you believe you are the best candidate for the position –we suggest that you think about it in the way you would an application for a job.

Find out more about our specialisms and postgraduate research at Hull, or explore our funded opportunities.



  • 2 June 2023 - application deadline for programmes requiring ATAS
  • 30 June 2023 - application deadline for all other postgraduate taught programmes (courses may close earlier if all places are filled.)
  • 24 July 2023 - deadline to meet all conditions (international students)
  • 28 July 2023 - the University must have received a deposit (international students)
  • 14 August 2023 - last date for CAS issuance (international students)

Start dates

The majority of our postgraduate taught programmes start in September. However, we have a number of courses that also offer offer January and May starts, including many programmes offered by the Faculty of Health Sciences. Please refer to the course pages for more details.

September, January and May start dates are available for our research programmes.


If you would like to defer the start of your course, you need to email The Postgraduate Admissions team will then contact the academic department for approval.

Deferrals are normally only allowed if requested up to six weeks after the initial start date. After this, you may need to apply again.

Non-standard courses

Find out more about how to apply for the following courses:

Please apply through the UCAS Teacher Training website. If you need more guidance about our PGCE courses, entry requirements or admissions process, our Teaching Education Office is happy to help.

T: +44 (0)1482 465401


You’ll need to apply through the UCAS website with our university’s code, which is H72. The course code is L508.

You can find more details on this programme on our MA Social Work course page.

Find a postgraduate programme and apply via the Hull York Medical School website. The application process is administered by our partner, the University of York.