Dr Skinner is a Senior Lecturer in Drama and Theatre Practice. Her primary research interest is in Russian and Early Soviet theatre, particularly the theatre of Vsevolod Meyerhold. She is currently working on the relationship between theatrical cultures and totalitarian political systems.
In addition, she works on theatrical space, scenography, and craft-based activism (craftivism) particularly in the context of audience engagement, public events and eco-arts.
Her teaching interests include theatre directing, Russian and Soviet theatre, theatre for children and young audiences, and theatres of the avant-garde.
Alongside her academic work, Dr Skinner is an active theatre director and scenographer, specialising in interactive and immersive theatre and productions of texts in translation or in multiple languages. She also has experience as a community theatre practitioner, and in creating performance with and for children and young people.
- 2017 - ‘Resistant Bodies in Protest Spaces: Craftivism and Performance’ TaPRA Annual Conference (University of Salford).
- 2015 - ‘CommonSpace, DistancedSpace, SharedSpace: Meyerhold's Imagined Scenographies'
- 2015 - IFTR Scenography Working Group at the Prague Quadrennial (Prague Quadrennial 2015)
- 2014 - ‘The Philosophy of Shadows, or, how Meyerhold's theatre met the challenge of four dimensions' Theatre and Stratification, IFTR World Congress (University of Warwick)
- 2013 - ‘Soviet Afterlives: The Story of Socialist Realist Theatre in the UK' British Comparative Literature Association Triennial Conference (University of Essex)
- 2012 - ‘Quantum Leaps: Scenography, Collage, and Multiple Consciousness as a Model for Theatre in Translation' IFTR Scenography Working Group (Arts and Theatre Institute, Prague)
- 2017 - Weathered Estates (Zodwa Nyoni, after Euripides), Donald Roy Theatre, University of Hull and Ferens Art Gallery, Hull, Women of the World Festival. Co-production with Hull City of Culture 2017 and The Roaring Girls (direction)
- 2014 - A Month in the Country (Ivan Turgenev), Minghella Studio, University of Hull (direction and scenography)
- 2013 - The Light in the Piazza (Adam Guettel), Middleton Hall, University of Hull (direction)
- 2013 - Call Me, Love Me (Melanie Ball, in collaboration with the Samaritans, Hull), Donald Roy Theatre, University of Hull (direction and scenography)
- 2012 - The Suicide (Nikolai Erdman), Donald Roy Theatre, University of Hull (direction)