Undergraduate entry requirements

Our pages include information for international students

Please see below for the list of qualifications we accept on to our undergraduate degrees. However, this is a rough guide, and we consider a large range of UK and international qualifications and experiences, so please get in touch if your qualifications are different to those listed.

For international students, you can find more information about your entry requirements on the specific country pages – as well as details about our English language requirements.

Applicants for the Hull York Medical School (HYMS) should refer to the HYMS website for guidance.

The UCAS tariff

The UCAS Tariff is the points systems that many universities use to set course entry requirements. We use this for all of our full-time undergraduate courses, and the majority of typical offer levels are in terms of total Tariff achieved (please check your course page for specific entry requirements).

We accept all qualifications that attract Tariff points in appropriate combinations for the degree course (subject to essential prior study of relevant subject where applicable).

Normally, we do not use the tariff for offers to International Baccalaureate Diploma or Access to HE Diploma students, due to the complexity of the Tariff for these awards.

You can work out what your qualifications will be worth under the new system by using the UCAS tariff points calculator.

A levels

We accept all A level subjects from UK exam boards, including General Studies and Critical Thinking. Individual degree programmes may require specific previous subject knowledge to A Level (or equivalent) – see the UCAS website and our course listings for the latest information on essential requirements.

You don’t have to have completed all A levels in the same session, we are normally happy to include any certificated at the end of Year 12 as contributing towards achievement of the normal entry requirements.

At Hull, we do not count results in the same subject at both AS and A levels – also known as double-counting. As an example, if you study for an AS and an A level in History, only the A level will count towards your Tariff score, regardless of which is the better grade.

We accept International A-levels (such as Cambridge International A levels)  as being equivalent to any other UK A-level.

We recognise Singapore CIE A Level (H2) as equivalent to the UK A level but the A level (H1) as equivalent to UK AS level.

AS and A level unit grades
Our entry requirements do not make specific reference to unit grades, but we may use them to consider any applicants who miss their offer level in the summer.
International Baccalaureate

We welcome applications based on the IB Diploma, and a pass in the Diploma meets the general degree entry requirements. Typically, offers for IB Diploma students are around 28-30 IB points, but please check your course page for more information. Some programmes require study beforehand at Higher Level (e.g. maths HL for maths degree entry).

If you don’t meet the requirements for your chosen degree, you may be considered for a foundation year, designed to prepare you for entry on to the first year of the degree. We do not normally use the UCAS tariff for offers to IB students, but where an IB certificate is taken in combination with other level 3 qualifications, this will be included for applications who receive a conditional, total tariff, offer.

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, we accept a pass in the IB Diploma (English or Bilingual) as evidence of English language proficiency.

Other qualifications

We recognise a wide range of other qualifications for entry, including vocational qualifications. There are many more that we can list here but the most common from the UK are include International A-levels, Scottish Highers/Advanced Highers; BTEC (NQF) Diploma; BTEC (QCF) Extended Diploma; BTEC RQF National Extended Diploma; AQA Level Technicals; IB Certiticate; NCFE CACHE level 3 Extended Diploma; Welsh Baccalaureate Diploma.

We accept many combinations and qualifications that attract UCAS Tariff points, such as Pearson BTEC Award, Cambridge Pre-U, Music grades 6-8, AAT accounting and LIBF(IFS) Diploma in Financial Studies may be included towards many offers.

Please visit our international pages for guidance on our usual entry levels with the most common qualifications from your country.

All applications will be considered on an individual basis on merit so please contact us at any stage of your planning for a university application if you need guidance in making your qualification choices.

Extended project
We encourage the completion of an Extended Project, but it is not a requirement. We use a total tariff approach for offers which will allow inclusion of the EPQ.
English Baccalaureate

The English Baccalaureate is not required for entry and will not be used to form part of our entry requirements.

Please contact us if you have a query regarding your qualifications for further guidance.

Applicants not currently in formal education

Successful applicants will normally have provided evidence of successful learning through structured academic study and/or work-based or self-directed learning within the last three years. This is in addition to any specific requirements for the programme.

We need to see a strong personal statement that explains how you feel you are prepared for degree level study. You may be offered alternate methods of demonstrating the outcome of the recent learning where formal evidence is not available. This could include one or more essays, detailed discussion of the degree subject at interview, or discussion of past examination papers; or a combination of these methods.

We will provide feedback if you are unsuccessful with your application, often with a view to encouraging a future application. We may advise you to take our foundation year to give a strong grounding to continue to the further states of the degree.

Home-schooled students will be considered individually in a similar way.

Proof of qualifications

If you have been asked to provide proof of your qualifications, we will accept a copy of your official statement of results, certificate or transcript by email or post.

However, you will be asked to present the original document or a verified copy when you arrive at the University. Please see our policy on proof of qualifications for more information.

If your name has changed since your documents were issued, you will also need to provide evidence of this. For more details, please see our policy on providing evidence of a change of name.

Numeracy and literacy requirements
While we don’t have a specified entry requirement in terms of GCSE Maths and English, some of our courses do have these as a requirement. Certain professional training courses (nursing, ODP, midwifery, teacher training, social work) have numeracy and/or literacy requirements placed on them by the external professional body.
Health assessments
For certain professional training programmes, applicants are required to have a medical check as a condition of their offer. Full details are provided during the application process.
Acceptability of examination grades after resits

We accept examination results that have been gained after resits. If you have not been successful in studies at another university, and wish to study at Hull, you will be considered individually in the context of the University’s  Accreditation of Prior Learning policies.

We often accept students to level 5 or 6 (year 2 or 3) of a degree where they have previous acceptable study. We will need to see information about all of your results and the content of your previous study if it has not already been fully evaluated under an established progression or partnership agreement. If you experience some difficulties during your previous study we may ask for information of the factors and how you have overcome them to begin further study. 

For students who will need a Tier 4 visa to study we need to be particularly careful that all requirement of the UKVI can be satisfied. 

If you are accepted to Hull with credit, you’ll need to liaise with your funding body or sponsor to obtain sufficient funding to complete your studies. Students who have already had UK government funding for Higher Education may not receive further funding.

Mitigating circumstances affecting examination results
These should be made known to us as soon as possible, by letter preferably from your school/college. Factors affecting performance will normally be taken into account at the time that places are confirmed. The final decision is with the Dean of Faculty.