How to apply for postgraduate courses


Our pages include information for international students

Postgraduate Taught Applicants

For most of our courses, applying online is the quickest and easiest way to apply. There are some exceptions - find out more about applying for PGCE, MA Social Work, and Hull York Medical School courses.

Applying online means you can to track the progress of your application and upload supporting documents.

To apply, find your course and click the 'apply now' button to get started.

It usually takes five to 10 minutes to complete the application and we provide plenty of guidance. Don’t forget to upload your supporting documents too.

Submit your application and you will receive an email acknowledgment. Our postgraduate admissions team will review your application and write to you with a decision.

You will need to meet any conditions stated on your offer letter before you can register. Student Visa applicants need to meet all conditions before the University can issue CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies).

International students

You may be able to apply through one of our representatives in your country. If there isn't a representative in your country, email us at .

Our international office are here to offer guidance about studying and living in Hull, and the immigration team can help with visa and immigration queries.

Postgraduate Research Applicants

We recommend contacting a supervisor to discuss your research proposal before making an application.

Find a research degree in your chosen subject and follow the application links. 

You will need to provide a personal statement as part of your application. 

If you are applying for a specific research scholarship you should use the personal statement to explain succinctly, why you believe you are the best candidate for the position –we suggest that you think about it in the way you would an application for a job. 

Find out more about our specialisms and postgraduate research at Hull, or explore our funded opportunities.

Start dates

The majority of our postgraduate taught programmes start in September. However, we have a number of courses that also offer offer January and May starts, including many programmes offered by the Faculty of Health Sciences. Please refer to the course pages for more details.

September, January and May start dates are available for our research programmes.

Application deadlines

You can apply for a postgraduate course at any time, however we do advise to apply earlier in the year if you are an International applicant due to CAS and Visa constraints. Please take into account the start date of your course and all the arrangements you need to make in preparation for the start of your programme with us.

For International applicants, we recommend that you apply by 30 June for a September course start. This is important in particular if you need Student Visa to study in the UK as you need to allow enough time to complete your visa application process. This usually takes 3-4 weeks.

For Home applicants, we recommend that you apply 6 weeks before the start of the programme.

Depending on the course we will consider later applications. 


If you would like to defer the start of your course, you need to email . The Postgraduate Admissions team will then contact the academic department for approval.

Deferrals are normally only allowed if requested up to six weeks after the initial start date. After this, you may need to apply again.


Please apply via the UCAS Teacher Training (UTT) website.

For more information about our PGCE courses, entry requirements or the admission process, please contact the Teacher Education Office.

T: +44 (0)1482 465401

MA Social Work

Please apply via the UCAS website. You will need the University of Hull's institution code which is H72, and the course code which is L508.

Further details on this programme can be found on the MA Social Work course page.

Hull York Medical School

Find a postgraduate programme and apply via the Hull York Medical School website. The application process is administered by our partner, the University of York.