Undergraduate entry requirements

Our pages include information for international students

Please see below for the list of qualifications we accept on to our undergraduate degrees. However, this is a rough guide, and we consider a large range of UK and international qualifications and experiences, so please get in touch if your qualifications are different to those listed.

For international students, you can find more information about your entry requirements on the specific country pages – as well as details about our English language requirements.

Applicants for the Hull York Medical School (HYMS) should refer to the HYMS website for guidance.

The UCAS tariff

The UCAS tariff is the points systems that universities use to set course entry requirements. We use this for all of our full-time undergraduate courses, and the majority of typical offer levels are in terms of total tariff achieved (please check your course page for specific entry requirements). Normally, we do not use the tariff for offers to International Baccalaureate students.

From 1 September 2017 onwards – the points system is changing. Compared with 2016 entry requirements, the number of points you need to enter university appears to be a lot lower in 2017. This is because UCAS are attaching fewer points to qualifications. For example, an A* grade at A level will be worth 56 points from 2017 onwards, instead of 140 in 2016. You’ll still need to achieve the same grades to get into university, but the way they are counted has changed.

All qualifications that were on the UCAS tariff for 2016 will continue to attract points under the new system, so a tariff score could be made up of A levels, BTECs, or a combination.

Under the new system, AS levels will be worth 40% of an A level, instead of 50%. At Hull, we do not count results in the same subject at both AS and A levels – also known as double-counting. As an example, if you study for an AS and an A level in History, only the A level will count towards your tariff score, regardless of which is the better grade.

You can work out what your qualifications will be worth under the new system by using the UCAS tariff points calculator.

A levels

We accept all A level subjects from UK exam boards, including General Studies and Critical Thinking. Individual degree programmes may require specific previous subject knowledge to A Level (or equivalent) – see the UCAS website for the latest information on essential requirements.

You don’t have to have completed all A levels in the same session, we are normally happy to include any certificated at the end of Year 12 as contributing towards achievement of the normal entry requirements.

We recognise Singapore CIE A Level (H2) as equivalent to the UK A level but the A level (H1) as equivalent to UK AS level.

AS and A level unit grades
Our entry requirements do not make specific reference to unit grades, but we may use them to consider any applicants who miss their offer level in the summer.
International Baccalaureate

We welcome applications based on the IB Diploma, and a pass in the Diploma meets the general degree entry requirements. Typically, offers for IB Diploma students are around 28-30 IB points, but please check your course page for more information. Some programmes require study beforehand at Higher Level (e.g. maths HL for maths degree entry).

If you don’t meet the requirements for your chosen degree, you may be considered for a foundation year, designed to prepare you for entry on to the first year of the degree. We do not normally use the UCAS tariff for offers to IB students, but where an IB certificate is taken in combination with other level 3 qualifications, this will be included for applications who receive a conditional, total tariff, offer.

If you need a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, we accept a pass in the IB Diploma (English or Bilingual) as evidence of English language proficiency.

ATAS certificate
International students who have applied for a science and technology programme may need to apply for an ATAS certificate. Your offer letter will say if you need one. See our ATAS Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
14-19 Diplomas
We welcome applications from students who achieved the Level 3 Advanced/Extended Diploma. Our admissions tutors will assess your suitability for the programme, as with all applicants, for specific subject knowledge. In some cases, we will require a relevant A level as part of the Additional and Specialist Learning.
Other qualifications

We recognise a wide range of other entry qualifications as being equivalent to A level standard (level 3). These include Irish Leaving Certificate; Scottish Highers/Advanced Highers; BTEC (NQF) Diploma; BTEC (QCF) Extended Diploma; Welsh Baccalaureate Diploma; Access programmes which are QAA ‘kitemarked’; International/European/French Baccalaureate; German Abitur and Ethniko Apolyterion.

Qualifications such as music practical grades and IFS Diploma in Financial Studies may be included towards offers where they are relevant to the degree programme. Applications will be considered on an individual basis.

If you are taking A levels in another system, please contact us for equivalency guidance.

Extended project
We encourage the completion of an Extended Project, but it is not a requirement. We use a total tariff approach for offers which will allow inclusion of the EPQ.
English Baccalaureate

The English Baccalaureate is not required for entry and will not be used to form part of our entry requirements.

Please contact us if you have a query regarding your qualifications for further guidance.

Applicants not currently in formal education

Successful applicants will normally have provided evidence of successful learning through structured academic study and/or work-based or self-directed learning within the last three years. This is in addition to any specific requirements for the programme.

You may be offered alternate methods of demonstrating the outcome of the recent learning where formal evidence is not available. This could include one or more essays, detailed discussion of the degree subject at interview, or discussion of past examination papers; or a combination of these methods. We will provide feedback if you are unsuccessful with your application.

Proof of qualifications

If you have been asked to provide proof of your qualifications, we will accept a copy of your official statement of results, certificate or transcript by email or post.

However, you will be asked to present the original document or a verified copy when you arrive at the University. Please see our policy on proof of qualifications for more information.

If your name has changed since your documents were issued, you will also need to provide evidence of this. For more details, please see our policy on providing evidence of a change of name.

Numeracy and literacy requirements
While we don’t have a specified entry requirement in terms of GCSE Maths and English, some of our courses do have these as a requirement. Certain professional training courses (nursing, ODP, midwifery, teacher training, social work) have numeracy and/or literacy requirements placed on them by the external professional body.
Health assessments
For certain professional training programmes, applicants are required to have a medical check as a condition of their offer. Full details are provided during the application process.
Acceptability of examination grades after resits
We accept examination results that have been gained after resits in accordance with the rules of the relevant public examinations board. If you have not been successful in studies at another university, and wish to study at Hull, you will be considered individually in the context of the Accreditation of Prior Learning policies. If you are accepted to Hull, you’ll need to liaise with your LEA or sponsor to obtain sufficient funding to complete your studies.
Mitigating circumstances affecting examination results
These should be made known to us as soon as possible, by letter preferably from your school/college. Factors affecting performance will normally be taken into account at the time that places are confirmed. The final decision is with the Dean of Faculty.