I am programme director for the BSc. Environmental Science degrees and I teach across Environmental Science, Geography and MSc in ECMM programmes. Key modules include:
- Introduction to Environmental Science (Level 4)
- Living in the Anthropocene (Level 5)
- Environmental Pollution (Level 6)
- Environmental Management and Policy (Level 7)
I also contribute to the following modules:
- Exploring Worlds Around Us (Level 4)
- Field Studies (Level 5)
- Frontiers in Environmental Science (Level 5)
- Geograpy and Environmental Science Dissertation (Level 6)
Leaching behaviour of co-disposed steel making wastes: Effects of aeration on leachate chemistry and vanadium mobilisation
Hobson, A. J., Stewart, D. I., Mortimer, R. J., Mayes, W. M., Rogerson, M., & Burke, I. T. (2018). Leaching behaviour of co-disposed steel making wastes: Effects of aeration on leachate chemistry and vanadium mobilisation. Waste Management, 81, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2018.09.046
Vanadium: A re-emerging environmental hazard
Watt, J. A., Burke, I. T., Edwards, R. A., Malcolm, H. M., Mayes, W. M., Olszewska, J. P., …Spears, B. M. (2018). Vanadium: A re-emerging environmental hazard. Environmental Science and Technology, 52(21), 11973-11974. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b05560
Behaviour and fate of vanadium during the aerobic neutralisation of hyperalkaline slag leachate
Hobson, A. J., Stewart, D. I., Bray, A. W., Mortimer, R. J., Mayes, W. M., Riley, A. L., …Burke, I. T. (2018). Behaviour and fate of vanadium during the aerobic neutralisation of hyperalkaline slag leachate. The Science of the total environment, 643, 1191-1199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.06.272
Options for managing alkaline steel slag leachate: A life cycle assessment
Gomes, H. I., Mayes, W. M., Baxter, H. A., Jarvis, A. P., Burke, I. T., Stewart, D. I., & Rogerson, M. (2018). Options for managing alkaline steel slag leachate: A life cycle assessment. Journal of cleaner production, 202, 401-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.163
Recent research projects include:
- Resource Recovery and Remediation of Alkaline Wastes (NERC / Defra / ESRC) - see https://alkalineremediation.wordpress.com/
- Greenhouse Gas Removal in the Iron and Steel Industry (NERC); led by Phil Renforth (Heriott Watt): http://gotw.nerc.ac.uk/list_full.asp?pcode=NE%2FP019943%2F1
- Impact of an extreme rainfall event on solute and sediment dynamics in a mineralised river system (NERC); led by Adam Jarvis (Newcastle): http://gotw.nerc.ac.uk/list_full.asp?pcode=NE%2FP000053%2F1
For more details follow the link here:
I welcome applications in areas linked to the research projects and publications listed on this page.
Victor Uchenna Oty (PhD, 2012-2016): Remediation of hyperalkaline industrial drainage, University of Hull international bursary, field support costs from Tata Steel.
Ashley Jones (PhD, 2010-2014): Solute dynamics in mine-impacted streams, funded by University of Hull.
Helen Baxter (PhD, 2011-2015): Integrating Payments for Environmental Services with LCA at abandoned mine remediation schemes, funded by University of Hull.
Riina Vaht (PhD, 2009-2012, completed): Impact of oil shale mining on hydrological regime, co-supervisor with Prof. Mander, University of Tartu, Estonia.
Current PhD supervisions
Wayne Duffus: Watch list chemicals in fluvial sediments (EU Interreg funded: Sullied Sediments Project)