The adaptation of dunes to changes in river flow
Reesink, A. J. H., Parsons, D. R., Ashworth, P. J., Best, J. L., Hardy, R. J., Murphy, B. J., …Unsworth, C. (2018). The adaptation of dunes to changes in river flow. Earth-Science Reviews, 185, 1065-1087. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.earscirev.2018.09.002
Wave ripple development on mixed clay-sand substrates: Effects of clay winnowing and armoring
Wu, X., Baas, J. H., Parsons, D. R., Eggenhuisen, J., Amoudry, L., Cartigny, M., …Ruessink, G. (2018). Wave ripple development on mixed clay-sand substrates: Effects of clay winnowing and armoring. Journal of geophysical research. JGR. Earth surface, 123(11), 2784-2801. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018JF004681
Three-dimensional modelling of suspended sediment transport in the far wake of tidal stream turbines
Li, X., Li, M., Amoudry, L. O., Ramirez-Mendoza, R., Thorne, P. D., Song, Q., …McLelland, S. J. (2020). Three-dimensional modelling of suspended sediment transport in the far wake of tidal stream turbines. Renewable energy, 151, 956-965. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2019.11.096
Laboratory study on the effects of hydro kinetic turbines on hydrodynamics and sediment dynamics
Ramírez-Mendoza, R., Amoudry, L., Thorne, P., Cooke, R., McLelland, S., Jordan, L., …Murdoch, L. (2018). Laboratory study on the effects of hydro kinetic turbines on hydrodynamics and sediment dynamics. Renewable energy, 129(Part A), 271-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2018.05.094
Modelling impacts of tidal stream turbines on surface waves
Li, X., Li, M., Jordan, L. B., McLelland, S., Parsons, D. R., Amoudry, L. O., …Comerford, L. (2019). Modelling impacts of tidal stream turbines on surface waves. Renewable energy, 130, 725-734. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2018.05.098
- Physical modelling of river, estuarine and coastal flow processes and sediment transport dynamics.
- Application of laser and acoustic flow measurement techniques.
- Developing new techniques for physical modelling of ecohydraulics.
- Modelling environmental impacts on the seabed associated with offshore wind energy.
- Developing research in Natural Flood Management.
- Member of the Modelling Environmental Systems Research Group at the University of Hull.
- Member of the management team for HYDRALAB+ (http://www.hydralab.eu) which is a EU-funded Infrastructure programme funded through Horizon2020. There are more than 25 participants from throughout the EU.
- Member of the British Society for Geomorphology (http://britishgeomorphology.org.uk/)
Physical Modelling of Mixed Beaches
1 January 2019
H2020 RI - HYDRALAB-PLUS
EC European Commission
31 August 2015
I welcome any PhDs in the area of experimental modelling, fluvial sediment transport and natural flood management.
Current PhD supervisions
Laura-Beth Jordan - Wake Development Downstream from Tidal Stream Turbines. UoH - McLelland (P) and Parsons (S). Started 02/2014
David N Jordan - The influence of vegetation on fluvial morphodynamics and flood risk. UoH - Parsons (P) and McLelland (S). Started 09/2012
Sergio Duran Catastrophic Floods on Mars UoH - Catastrophic Flows Cluster - Coulthard (P) and McLelland (S). Started 09/2016
Bas Bodewes Scaling flood events and ecohydraulics in experimental models UoH - Catastrophic Flows Cluster - McLelland (P) and Parsons (S). Started 09/2016
Robert Houseago - Coastal system resilience under increased storminess UoH - Catastrophic Flows Cluster - Parsons (P) and McLelland (S). Started 09/2016