Research Mission: to investigate the relevance of protein post-translational modifications in the biological response to environmental changes, with a focus on human health.
Current externally funded projects:
1. Role of arginine methylation of cardiac troponin I in cardiovascular disease, funded by The Hull and East Riding Cardiac Trust (HERCTF), £29,875. January-December 2019. Link to HERCTF: https://sites.google.com/view/hull-east-riding-cardiac-trust
2. Developing tissue-on-chip technology as a platform to measure the response of glioblastoma to established therapy and novel drugs (GBM-on-chip), funded by the Yorkshire Brain Tumour Charity (YBTC), £79,987.75, 2020-2023. Link to YBTC: www.btrs.org.uk
Internally funded projects:
the Happy Chemical Cluster!
Pedro proudly supervises students interested in biochemistry and post-translational modifications, in a variety of systems from cardiovascular to climate change models.
Current PG students include:
- Sabrina Samuel (3rd year PhD student), who is interested in brain disease
- Alistair Marsden (2nd year PhD student), who is interested in cardiovascular disease
- Lauric Feugere (2nd year PhD student, second supervisor), who is interested in stress signalling in fish in the context of climate change
- Antonia Barry (1st year PhD student)
-Quentin Rodriguez (1st year PhD student)
Past supervision: Dr Donatus Onwuli (graduated 2018)