Michael welcomes applicants in the following areas: surveillance and social control; surveillance, crime and media; ethnographic research on surveillance subjects or agents.
- Abdullah Algarni, PhD in criminology, funding: King Fahd College, Riyadh, completed 2012 (principal supervisor)
- Nicky O'Leary, PhD in criminology, funding: self-funded, completed 2011 (principal supervisor)
- Ibrahim Al-haider, PhD in criminology, funding: King Fahd College, Riyadh, completed 2010 (principal supervisor)
Current PhD supervisions
- Suki Desai, PhD in sociology, The Social Impact of CCTV Surveillance Cameras in Three Mental Health Wards, self-funded (principal supervisor)
- Tom Hammond, PhD in sociology, University of Hull full-time UK/EU PhD scholarship on Surveillance, Migration and Identity in Brexit Britain (principal supervisor)