Dr Jo Beckett is currently a research tutor on the Clinical Psychology Doctorate Programme, which involves teaching research methods and supervising clinical doctoral research.
Jo is a Chartered Principal Clinical Psychologist with over 20 years’ experience working in the NHS. She has worked with people across the lifespan suffering with emotional distress, mental illness, cognitive impairment and physical ill health in both community and acute medical settings. She has also provided staff support via reflective practice groups and psychological skills training.
Jo has postgraduate training in a variety of theory driven and empirically supported therapeutic approaches (e.g. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Compassion Focused Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, Systemic Therapy, Motivational Interviewing). She has extensive knowledge, skills and experience in neuropsychology and psychometric assessment, and also training in leadership approaches, supervision, mentoring, coaching and service improvement.
Jo is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and has previously worked as a university lecturer teaching psychology students on both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, and also medical students.
Jo is a member of the Division of Clinical Psychology and Neuropsychology in the British Psychological Society, and is registered with the HCPC and EMDR Association UK.
Jo set up Time to Thrive Ltd in 2018 to offer private psychological assessment and intervention, and consultation and mental wellbeing awareness / psychological skills training in schools and private businesses both locally and nationally. Most recently she presented at the VetsNow 16th Emergency & Critical Care Congress.
• University of Nottingham - MSc Clinical Neuropsychology (2010)
• University of Hull - ClinPsyD Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (2003), BSc Psychology (2000)
Further Professional Training:
• Group Work & Staff Support - York Group Work - Compassionate Mind Foundation (Kate Lucre)
• ACT - Psychological Medicine - York Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust (Dr David Gilanders)
• CFT Introduction - Compassionate Mind Foundation (Dr Mary Welford)
• CFT Advanced - Compassionate Mind Foundation (Prof. Paul Gilbert), Compassionate Mind Foundation (Dr Chris Irons)
• EMDR parts 1, 2 & 3 - EMDR Extra (Dr Manda Holmshaw)
• Leading from the Front - Out of Hospital Directorate & York St Johns University
• SAGE & THYME Facilitator (SATFAC) - University Hospital of South Manchester Foundation Trust
• Clinical Supervision (Introductory & Advanced) - Various
• Motivational Interviewing - MI Cardiff (Prof. Steve Rollnick)
• Health and Care Professions Council - Practicing Clinical Psychologist
• British Psychological Society - Chartered Clinical Psychologist
o Divisions: Clinical Psychology & Neuropsychology
o Position: Honorary Secretary – Yorkshire & Humber Branch DCP
• Higher Education Academy - Fellow
• EMDR Association UK & Ireland - Practicing Member