Africa Gomez is an evolutionary biologist whose research centres on the impact of sexual systems on population structure, phylogeography and genomics. She is interested in the evolution, ecology and natural history of aquatic invertebrates, especially those dispersing passively, which she investigates using molecular tools and genomic approaches.
Africa is currently working on elucidating the impact of sexual system on sex chromosome evolution in Triops.
She was previously a NERC Advanced Fellow at Hull. Africa has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers. She obtained her PhD at the University of Valencia.
Ecological genomics of adaptation to unpredictability in experimental rotifer populations
Tarazona, E., Hahn, C., Franch-Gras, L., García-Roger, E. M., Carmona, M. J., & Gómez, A. (2019). Ecological genomics of adaptation to unpredictability in experimental rotifer populations. Scientific reports, 9(1), Article 19646. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-56100-y
Genomic signatures of local adaptation to the degree of environmental predictability in rotifers
Franch-Gras, L., Hahn, C., García-Roger, E. M., Carmona, M. J., Serra, M., & Gómez, A. (2018). Genomic signatures of local adaptation to the degree of environmental predictability in rotifers. Scientific reports, 8(1), Article 16051. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-34188-y
Africa welcomes applications for postgraduate supervision in her specialist areas of research.
- Marta Maccari. 2017. Origin and evolution of Artemia reproductive and genetic diversity. IATS/CSIC, Spain and University of Hull. Co-supervised with Prof. Francisco Amat Domenech. CSIC and European Social Fund. Universitat de Valencia 20 September 2017.
- Thomas Mathers. 2013. The genetics and evolutionary dynamics of reproductive mode in tadpole shrimps. University of Hull/NHM London. NERC CASE studentship. Co-supervised with Rob Hammond and Ronald Jenner.
- Javier Montero Pau. 2012. Ecological and evolutionary impact of diapause on zooplankton. Universitat de València. Co-supervised with Prof Manuel Serra.
- Raquel Ortells Bañeres. 2002. Diversidad genética y ecológica en especies crípticas de rotíferos: patrones y procesos. Universitat de València. Co-supervised with Prof Manuel Serra.
Current PhD supervisions
- Graham Sellers, start date 1/10/2015. Discovering and Monitoring Endangered Triops cancriformis Populations in Ephemeral Ponds. University of Hull PhD Studentships. Co-supervised with B Haenfling. Ongoing.