Dr Elaine King is a performer and musicologist with research interests in performance studies, psychology of music and music analysis.
Her doctoral thesis focused on the nature and effects of interaction in cello-piano duos during ensemble rehearsal and performance.
Since then, she has developed her research into different aspects of performance, especially in ensemble contexts.
Recent projects include investigations into ensemble rehearsal strategies, team roles, social familiarity, 'feel' and empathy in small chamber groups.
As a cellist, Dr King studied at the Royal Academy of Music, and she continues to direct and perform in chamber ensembles and orchestras.
- Associate Editor, Psychology of Music (2012-17)
- Reviews Editor, Frontiers in Performance Science (2016-)
- Editorial Board, British Postgraduate Musicology (1996-8)
- Musical Cultures International Conference, University of Hull, April 2017 (Co-director)
- Piano Accompaniment in Practice Symposium, University of Hull, November 2016 (Co-director)
- Music and Empathy, SEMPRE Conference and Study Day, University of Hull, November 2013 (Co-organiser)
- SEMPRE 40th Anniversary Conference, Institute of Education, London, September 2012 (Director)
- RMA Research Students' Conference, University of Hull, January 2012 (Director)
- Music and Familiarity, SEMPRE Conference and Study Day, University of Hull, 23-24 October 2009 (Co-organiser)
- Music and Gesture, Second International Conference, Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester, 20-23 July 2006 (Co-director)
- Music and Gesture, First International Conference, University of East Anglia, Norwich, August 2003 (Co-director)
- Organiser and Chair of the University of Hull Research Seminar Series, (2002-06)
- ‘The Dynamics of Music', Interview broadcast for BBC Radio 4, August 2004
- 'Musical Cultures', Live Interview broadcast for BBC Radio Humberside, April 2017
- 'Music Listening Tips for Examination Revision', Recorded Interview broadcast for Heart FM, June 2017
- ‘Encouraging Young String Players: A Psychological Perspective (University of Hull, October 2008 & November 2009);
- ‘Mozart's Symphony No. 41'(University of Hull, November 2008)
Music performance activity
- Secretary: Hull Music Recital Club (2000-07)
- Cellist: Annikyra String Quartet (deputy; 2009-); Friary String Quartet& Clarinet Quintet (2004-07); Aegle Trio (2004-07); Hull Philharmonic Orchestra (principal; 2000-07); Hull Sinfonietta (2004-05); East Riding Sinfonia (2007); Imperial Piano Trio, London (1999-2000); Slough Philharmonic Orchestra (co-principal; 1997-2000); Marylebone Symphony Orchestra, London (principal; 1998); Nutford String Trio (1995-96)
- Hull University Camerata (2015-) [Repertoire includes direction of Mendelssohn, Octet; Haydn, London Trios; Mozart, Clarinet Concerto; Mozart, Keyboard Concerto; Beethoven, Symphony No. 5; Schubert, Unfinished Symphony]
- Hull University Orchestra and Choir (2009-) [repertoire includes: Rachmaninov, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini; Shostakovich, Jazz Suite No. 2; Hedges, Bridge for the Living, Walton, Crown Imperial March]
- Musical Director, Hessle Sinfonia (2003-2009) [repertoire conducted includes: Alfven, Midsummer Vigil; Rimksy Korsakov, Russian Easter Festival Overture; Tchaikovsky, Romeo and Juliet Fantasy Overture, Ballet Suite from The Nutcracker, Symphony No. 5; Dvorak, Symphony No. 9; Weber, Clarinet Concerto No. 2; Khachaturian, Spartacus Suite No. 2; Hérold, Zampa Overture, Music from La Fille mal Gardée; Gounod, Ballet Suite from Faust; Delibes, Prelude & Mazurka from Coppélia, Offenbach, Gaîté Parisienne, Shostakovich, The Gadfly Suite]