Westfield Court

Inbound Exchanges and Visiting Students: Fees and Associated Costs

Learn more about the fees and associated costs for short term study with us.

Why invest in a year abroad

Experience the UK while you study

We have great transport links in Hull meaning it’s easy to visit different parts of the UK during your time with us.

Enhance your employability

Many employers recognise and value the skills gained during a study abroad experience.

Improve your English language skills

As well as learning in English you will also have access to our in-sessional English language support services.

Increase your cultural understanding

Many of our students are from different parts of the UK and around the world, so you have chance to make new friends from many different places.

Try something different

A study abroad experience is a great way to build confidence in a supportive environment, our team will be here to support you every step of the way.

An affordable destination

Hull is one of the most affordable cities in the UK to live, so your money goes further here.

Your fees

If you are an exchange student you will not pay tuition fees to the University of Hull. If in doubt, you should speak to your home institution to confirm tuition fee arrangements. If you are looking to join us as a visiting student, independent of your home institution you will pay a fee that is pro-rata to your length of study. We recommend you get in touch with us to ensure we offer the kind of studies you're looking for and so we can confirm the fees.

If you are unsure whether you are an exchange student or visiting student, or would like more details on fees please contact incoming-mobility@hull.ac.uk.

How much does it cost?


  • Cost of living

    We’re located in one of the UK’s most affordable cities* so your money goes further here. You can find out more about the cost of living in Hull on Numbeo.com.

    Earn while you learn

    You may also be able to work during your studies, depending on your specific visa conditions. As well as earning while you study you can gain valuable work experience through part-time jobs, internships, placements or our international student ambassador scheme.

    * numbeo.com. Correct as of September 2023.

  • Healthcare

    In the UK many international students are required to pay the UK Government’s Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS). The IHS covers the majority of healthcare costs for the duration of your visa. The amount is calculated based on the length of your visa and a range of other criteria. Visit the official UK Government IHS Tool to calculate your potential surcharge.

    Short study periods (less than 6 months)

    We advise you to take out medical insurance as you will be liable for NHS charges for any treatment received in the UK (except limited care in a medical emergency). Some countries have a reciprocal agreement with the UK which may entitle you to some free healthcare on the NHS but you should seek advice from health authorities in your home country about what treatment will be covered. EEA nationals should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

    Private Medical Insurance

    You may also wish to consider private medical insurance to cover the following potential health-related costs:

    • Costs incurred returning to your home country for treatment
    • Private medical treatment

    If you already have medical insurance in your home country, you may wish to check whether this can be extended to cover your stay in the UK.


    We will share more information with you on the IHS during your application process and our Visa and Immigration Team are always happy to answer any questions you may have on this.

    You can also visit the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website to learn about how the UK healthcare system works, the IHS and the types of care it covers.