Dr Mottram welcomes applications from PhD students in the following broad areas:
- Literature and religion: medieval to early modern
- Representing the medieval in early modern literature
- Writing empire and nation in late medieval / early modern England and Wales
- Literature and the visual arts
- John Bale and early Tudor drama
- Edmund Spenser
- Andrew Marvell
Supervised the following projects to successful completion in recent years:
- Kaylara Ann Reed (as first supervisor), Writing Reform in 14th-century English Romance (2017). External examiner, Professor Raluca Radulescu (Bangor).
- Amy Albudri (as second supervisor),Phantasmal Morgans and Other Women (2016). External examiner, Dr Rob Gossedge (Cardiff).
Current PhD supervisions
Currently second supervising a NECAH-funded project on early modern English medicine and drama.