Prof Mi welcomes PhD applications in the general areas of alloy design, materials characterisation, processing and manufacturing, modelling and simulation.
Potential applicants to the research areas of ultrasound and magnetic field processing of materials, modelling and simulation using phase field method and finite element methods, and in-situ studies of materials using electron, X-ray and neutron beam are particularly welcomed.
Every year, there are ~15 China Scholarship Council and Hull University (CSC-HoU) PhD studentships available for prospective PhD applicants.
The deadline for the 2018 entry is 15 February 2018. If you have any enquiries in terms of the application process of CSC-UoH scheme, please contact myself or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wei Zhang (first supervisor), Study of the multi-length scale structures of metallic glasses using synchrotron X-rays and phase-field crystal modelling, CSC-UoH Scholarship (2016). Now, postdoc at China Nuclear Research Institute, Sichuan, China
- Tung Lik Lee (first supervisor), Modelling and experimental study of the spray forming of dissimilar materials, Hull University International Scholarship (2016). Now, instrument scientist at Engin-X, ISIS Neutron Source, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Oxford, Didcot, UK
- Dongyue Tan (first supervisor), In situ ultrafast synchrotron X-ray imaging studies of the dynamics of ultrasonic bubbles in liquids, CSC-UoH Scholarship (2015). Now, estate agent in China
- Theerapatt Manuwong (first supervisor), Solidification of metal alloys in pulse electromagnetic fields, Thai Government Scholarship (2015). Now, engineer at OAP Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand
- Jia Chun Khong (first supervisor), In-situ imaging and diffraction studies of the deformation of metallic glasses and composites, Hull University International Scholarship (2015). Now, postdoc at Department of Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, University College London, London, UK
- Tianen Yang (first supervisor), Novel processing of cermet materials, CSC-UoH Scholarship. Now, lecturer at Sichuan University.
- Jianguo Wang (second supervisor), Numerical simulation of noise attenuating perforated combustor liners and the combustion instability issue in gas turbine engines, CSC-UoH Scholarship (2017)
In addition, Prof Mi supervised the following research fellows, visiting researchers and postdocs:
- Zhipeng Guo, held a Royal Society Newton International Fellowship in 2009-2011, now is Associate Professor at School of Materials Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University
- Da Shu, sponsored by the Royal Society International Joint project and Shanghai Jiao Tong University visiting fellowship in 2009-2010, now Professor and Head of the Institute of Solidification Science and Technology in School of Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Yongjiang Huang, held a Royal Society Newton International Fellowship in 2012-2014, now Associate Professor and Deputy Head of Department of Materials Processing in the School of Materials Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology
- Liang Zeng, sponsored by the Royal Academy of Engineering Research Exchange project in 2012-2013, now senior research engineer at Beijing Institute of Aeronautical Materials
- Jiao Zhang, sponsored by Shanghai Jiao Tong University visiting fellowship in 2014-2015, now Professor in School of Materials Science and Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Shunli Zhao, sponsored by the Baosteel project in 2013-2014, now Senior Research Engineer at Baosteel Research Institute, Baosteel Group Co. Ltd
- 7. Sanbing Ren, sponsored by the Baosteel project in 2014-2015, now Senior Research Engineer at Baosteel Research Institute, Baosteel Group Co. Ltd
- Chuangnan Wang, sponsored by the EPSRC UltraCast project (EP/L019965/1) in 2014-2016, now Ultrasonic Engineer at Ionix Advanced Technologies Ltd
- Bing Wang, sponsored by the EPSRC UltraCast project (EP/L019965/1) in 2017, now PostDoc at Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge
Current PhD supervisions
- Wenjia Du (first supervisor), In-situ Synchrotron X-ray studies of the solidification processes under pulse magnetic field
- Billy Koe (first supervisor), Modelling and experimental studies of novel melt-processing methods for recycled Al alloys
- Abdulrahman Sumayli (first supervisor), Development of 3D printable metallic alloys for biocompatible and biodegradable applications
- Chun Zhang (first supervisor),In-situ studies the micromechanics of metallic glasses
- Yuliang Zhao (first supervisor), X-ray tomography studies of the intermetallic phases in Al alloys