Hull’s performance in the endurance event, coupled with the team’s successes in other challenges, including 30th in the cost event, 28th in design, 23rd in acceleration, 25th in sprint and 14th in the skid pad, led to a record-breaking result. The team finished 32nd overall, an impressive 20 places higher than last year, scoring more than 100 points more than in any previous season.
Brian added: “This was a great result for the team and it also puts the University on the international radar for demonstrable high-quality engineering in action.”
Team member and engineering student Oliver Williams has since been offered a 12-month placement with engineering giants Bosch.
Find out more about studying Mechanical Engineering at the University of Hull
Formula Student aims to develop enterprising and innovative young engineers and to encourage more young people to take up careers in engineering.
The event is sponsored by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and is backed by industry and high-profile engineers such as its patron, Ross Brawn OBE
The HUFS team was formed in 2010 and first took part in the UK competition in 2012. The team for 2019 included:
- Fiona Baxter, BEng Mechanical and Medical Engineering with Foundation Year (1st year)
- Christopher Johnson, BA Business Management and Supply Chain Management with Placement Year (1st year)
- James Ward, MEng Mechanical Engineering (3rd year)
- Oliver Williams, BEng Mechanical Engineering with Industrial Placement (2nd year)
- Oliver Morgan-Clague, BEng Mechanical Engineering (2nd year)
- John Beaney, MEng Mechanical Engineering (4th year)
- Liam Neary, BEng Mechanical Engineering (1st year)
- Kathryn Whitsed, BEng Mechanical Engineering (1st year)
- Charlie Ward, BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Industrial Placement (1st year)
- Carrianne Kohler, MEng Mechanical Engineering (2nd year)
- Ben Pond,: MEng Mechanical Engineering
- James Morrish, BSc Accounting and Financial Management
Watch the official video of the sprint and endurance event here
To find out more about HUFS, email Brian Houston at firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow HUFS on Facebook @Hull University Formula Student, Instagram @HullFS or Twitter @HullFS.