What you'll study
You gain the skills to teach at Key Stage 1 and 2, along with the associated theory and knowledge. You'll study 120 credits at Level 6, over three semesters.
Our modules focus on
- the core curriculum subjects (English, maths and science)
- the other curriculum subjects
- general aspects of primary education (teaching, learning and assessment)
You’ll study a range of modules such as
- Integrated Core Subjects (English, mathematics and science teaching)
- Foundation Subjects in the Primary School (teaching geography, music, PE etc.)
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment (broader primary teaching skills)
- School Experience (two assessed school placements)
You must complete a minimum of two assessed school placements during the course. It's preferable to gain as much experience in different schools as possible, so we recommend that you do one (or both) of the placements in a school other than your own, if you are currently working in a school.
Being absent from your employment for school placements will obviously have implications for an employing school. So you'll need the full support of your headteacher and governing body before you embark on this programme. In extreme cases, students have to seek permission to take unpaid leave during school placement periods (although this is rare).
Over the period of the course you must spend 120 days in school. Over half of that will be through assessed school placements, supported by school and university staff. The remaining time can be through paid or voluntary work in schools, in appropriate roles, such as teaching assistants.
Gaining Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)
To gain QTS, you must
- meet the QTS Standards at both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2
- teach the core subjects competently and independently at both Key Stages
- teach a range of foundation subjects across the age range that you're trained for
- teach lessons and sequences of lessons to whole classes of pupils
- have experience of teaching in at least two schools
- spend at least 120 days in school