The programme seeks to identify the process of learning a second language. You’ll study the following areas:
- Critically review the various approaches, methods, techniques, and materials used in the teaching of foreign languages at secondary level
- Examples of methodology ranging from lively oral practice supported by interactive whiteboards, the use of new digital technology and games for beginners, to the exploitation of topic-based and literary texts at a sixth-form level
- Prepare your own teaching materials and to use a variety of teaching aids, including the latest digital technology
Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE)
The Language Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) French Extension course is an opportunity for German or Spanish graduate linguists to undertake an intensive course prior to beginning your PGCE.
We offer two levels of the course:
- French Extension - for graduate linguists with some knowledge of French (such as GCSE or A Level)
- French Extension Ab Initio - for graduate linguists with little or no knowledge of French
There are no tuition fees and students may be eligible to receive a bursary of £115 per week for the duration of the course. Please contact us for dates of the next course.
To apply for a SKE course, you should apply for a place on the Secondary PGCE (Modern Foreign Languages) course through UCAS Teacher Training and indicate in your application that you would like to do the SKE course.
Assessment is based on a range of coursework assignments.
Assessment takes place in schools. You’ll also be assessed on your achievement of the Teachers’ Standards.
A total of 120 days are spent in schools during the programme, supported by school mentors, class teachers and University-based tutors.