- BSc (University of Liverpool)
- PhD (University of Birmingham)
Liam Herringshaw is a lecturer in geology in the School of Environmental Sciences. He is primarily a palaeontologist, but knows nothing about dinosaurs.
His research focuses on marine palaeoecology through time, particularly how burrowing sea creatures have affected - and been affected by - the sediments they live in, from the earliest worms tunneling in sticky muds, to crustacean tunnels in oil reservoirs.
Liam also has an unhealthy fascination with fossil starfish, armoured worms and shales.
Dynamic climate-driven controls on the deposition of the Kimmeridge Clay Formation in the Cleveland Basin, Yorkshire, UK
Atar, E., März, C., Aplin, A., Dellwig, O., Herringshaw, L., Lamoureux-Var, V., …Wagner, T. (2019). Dynamic climate-driven controls on the deposition of the Kimmeridge Clay Formation in the Cleveland Basin, Yorkshire, UK. Climate of the Past Discussions, 15, 1581–1601. https://doi.org/10.5194/cp-15-1581-2019
Hadley circulation and precipitation changes controling black shale deposition in the Late Jurassic Boreal Seaway
Armstrong, H. A., Wagner, T., Herringshaw, L. G., Farnsworth, A. J., Lunt, D. J., Harland, M., …Atar, E. F. (2016). Hadley circulation and precipitation changes controling black shale deposition in the Late Jurassic Boreal Seaway. Paleoceanography, 31(8), 1041-1053. https://doi.org/10.1002/2015pa002911
What does Ophiomorpha irregulaire really look like"
Leaman, M., McIlroy, D., Herringshaw, L., Boyd, C., & Callow, R. (2015). What does Ophiomorpha irregulaire really look like?. Palaeogeography, palaeoclimatology, palaeoecology, 439, 38-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2015.01.022
Current PhD supervisions
- Jenny James, Experimental Geobiology of Extinctions, Institute of Energy and Environment, Hull, 3rd advisor (2018- )
- Catherine Mascord, Worms On Film, Institute of Energy and Environment, Hull, lead advisor (2017- )
- Cian McGuire, Micropalaeontology of Contourites, Geology, Hull, 3rd advisor (2015- )
- Charlotte Mummery, Regulation of UK Shale Gas, Geography, Hull, 3rd advisor (2014- )