I joined Hull university with over 30 years’ experience supporting adults and children with learning disabilities, during which I’ve worked across various settings - both in social care and health care settings. This includes:
• 7 years in the South of England as a Community Nurse (Supporting Adults with a Learning Disability and/or Autism) – Including Behaviour analysis, baseline dementia screening, dementia support training, health screening, palliative care support, assessment of capacity (following MCA best practice) and medication management.
• Complex Case Management and assessment within NHS Continuing HealthCare
• Delivered bespoke training packages to General Practitioners in relation to the health inequalities experienced by people with learning disabilities and the importance of annual health checks.
• Epilepsy Specialist Nurse
• Specialist advisor in the field of learning disability for CQC
• Student Nurse Mentor
• Transforming Care/Forensic services
• UK’s first Learning Disabilities Admiral Nurse supporting people with learning disabilities and autistic adults, both pre and post dementia diagnosis, ensuring they receive a timely diagnosis so support and environments were tailored to meet their individual needs.
My most recent academic achievement was completing a Master’s Degree in Autism Studies at the Tizard (University of Kent). My thesis explored CQC’s inspection processes across the UK and their effectiveness.