Ukraine flag

Vice-Chancellor’s statement on the invasion of Ukraine

31 March 2022

The University of Hull expresses its solidarity with the students and staff of Ukraine’s universities.

We recognise the extreme conditions that all Ukraine’s educational institutions are operating under, and regret the devastating situation of universities in those cities where conflict rages most severely.

As a University of Sanctuary, we commit to assisting our Ukrainian colleagues and their students, focused on the following support:

  • Our existing Sanctuary Scholarships at all levels of study, which we are extending to our Masters programmes delivered through Hull Online.
  • Full support to Ukrainian academics and their families, who are recommended to us by our own faculty or via programmes to support academics at risk, including accommodation and a place to work.
  • Participation in a twinning operation between UK and Ukrainian universities, providing practical support and equitable partnership for the long-term.
  • Renewed commitment to our staff volunteer leave policy to those hosting refugees.

We reaffirm the principle that the research and teaching of universities must be intellectually and morally independent of political influence and economic interests. That independence must be recognised by governments and by society at large and defended by institutions. We have a responsibility to respond to the challenges of the world and the communities we serve, to benefit humanity and contribute to sustainability. Education is a human right, a public good, and should be available to all.

  • Support for students

    A range of support is available for students including:


    A confidential programme designed to help you deal with personal or student-related problems. The problems could be affecting your home life, education, health, and general wellbeing. Health Assured have teamed up with University of Hull to provide this service.

    SAP is available 24/7 and can be accessed by calling 0800 028 3766 or by downloading the app (available on Android or iOS; access code: MHA 148306).

    Student Support Services

    Information on how to access support from Student Support Services can be found here on our web pages.

    For all Student Support enquiries contact the Central Hub on the first floor of Student Central, Mon – Fri 9 am – 5 pm, or call 01482 462222.

    You can also raise an enquiry with the MyHullPortal and the Student Services Team will respond.


    The Chaplaincy team brings a wealth of support to you and provides a place of welcome and support to students of any faith or belief, offering a physical and emotional space to chat, reflect and, if appropriate, pray.

    Student Hubs

    There are student hubs in each of the faculties, which can support you if your work is being affected. These are

    • Faculty of Science and Engineering - First floor, Ferens
    • Faculty of Arts, Cultures and Education - First floor, Wilberforce
    • Faculty of Health Sciences - Ground Floor, Allam Medical Building
    • Faculty of Business, Law and Politics - Ground Floor, Esk

    Students’ Union

    Our Students’ Union Advice Centre provides free and impartial advice and guidance with any academic issues such as mitigating circumstances that may come as a result of this.

  • Support for staff

    Our Healthy Hull site is a one stop shop for all things wellbeing. You can access it here.

    You will find details of our mental health first aiders, who act as a first point of contact for you. With the skills and confidence to recognise the signs and symptoms of common mental health issues, they can effectively guide you towards the support you might need. You can find more information here.

    You can also find details of the Employee Assistance Programme called Lifeworks with resources for physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing.

    The University provides a counselling service via a local independent counselling organisation FOCUS Counselling. Colleagues are welcome to speak with a counsellor for any issues they may be experiencing. You can contact Focus directly on (01482) 891564. More information is available at FOCUS Counselling or you can find out more via our Healthy Hull site.

  • Travel advice

    If you are planning to travel to or returning from any of the affected countries, please check the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) website and follow the guidance in place for the country you are travelling to and from and please make sure you follow university guidance with regard to study or business travel.

  • How we can help

    We are keeping in close contact with Hull City Council who are meeting with community groups to co-ordinate support from the area. There are also several appeals to which you can donate, with details of some of these below:

    The British Red Cross Ukraine Appeal.

    The UNHCR is providing help to Ukrainians displaced as a result of the invasion.

    The Ukrainian Institute, in London, has listed additional suggestions for people wishing to support Ukraine and Ukrainian people.

    Council of At-Risk Academics (CARA). An appeal to assist academics threatened in the current conflict.