Male Student in Mask UNI_6055 1900x800

COVID-19: Current measures to keep you safe on campus

How can
we help?

Get in touch

During the COVID-19 pandemic we have seen amazing acts of kindness, people being supportive or trying to help out. The University is proud of the reputation that we have of being a friendly community and you are a vital part of that.

Each of us has a responsibility to help slow the spread of COVID-19. In order to suppress the impact of COVID-19 in our communities, we all need to act with a heightened level of personal awareness and responsibility; whether we are on campus, in the city, in our accommodation or online. It is the responsibility of everyone to play their part to Stay safe, protect ourselves and our community.

All staff and students are expected to follow the guidance provided by the Government and the University of Hull Community Charter. These include:

  • Observe physical distancing at all times and follow relevant signage
  • Wash hands frequently and for more than 20 seconds
  • Follow the mandatory (unless exempt) University guidance on the wearing of face coverings on campus, and the Government guidance off campus
  • Adhere to Track and Trace requirements in retail outlets, food, drink and other venues as required.
  • Self-isolate and inform the University through the support portal if you have one of the following;
    • Returned from travel to a country without a travel corridor with the UK
    • Have been advised to by track and trace
    • Have COVID-19 symptoms
    • Have had close contact with someone who has tested positive
What are we doing to help keep you safe?

We have comprehensive risk assessments in place for all our on-campus activity to ensure we can maintain the health and wellbeing of our University community at all times.

These will be regularly reviewed in line with any new COVID-19 health and safety guidance.

For those students who are in a vulnerable category, we understand that you may not be able to attend campus throughout the period of national restrictions.

We are here to support you. If you have any questions, please contact your personal supervisor or access the student support service you require.

How can I help?

It is important to follow both the University guidance as well as the Government tier guidance for your area. Please ensure you are familiar and adhere to this at all times to help curb the transmission of COVID-19.

What are the main symptoms of COVID-19?

The main symptoms of COVID-19 are:

  • a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature. However if you can check your temperature, please do.)
  • a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you have noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

Most people with COVID-19 will have at least 1 of these symptoms.

What should I do if I display symptoms?

If you display symptoms of COVID-19 please stay at home and do not come onto campus, visit University premises or participate in activities. If you are in on-campus accommodation, please stay in your room

Please complete the University COVID-19 self-reporting tool via the support portal, notify your Personal Supervisor as soon as possible and follow the Government guidelines for arranging a test and self-isolation.

What should I do if someone from my household/who I have met tests positive?

Students can find advice regarding self isolation on our dedicated webpage available here.

How are we maintaining physical distancing in between lectures/seminars?

Lectures and seminars are timetabled to allow for safe movement of people between lectures, to avoid crowded areas, and for time to clean spaces between sessions.

Who is my first point of contact for an emergency?

Please contact campus security in the first instance on 01482 466868.

Is it cashless only at campus catering outlets/Spar shop?

We are currently working hard towards all catering and retail outlets being cashless. The SPAR shop is cashless.

Should I still use communal printers?

We are encouraging as little printing as possible but if you do need to use a printer please practice hand hygiene before and after.

What student support services do you offer?

The Student Services Central Hub, First Floor, Student Central, will be available on campus:

  • 10am-12noon – Tuesday
  • 10am-12noon – Thursday

You do not need an appointment to request items such as letters or student cards or ask finance questions or access any other services you would normally access in the Central Hub.

If you want a meeting with student services staff this is currently by pre-booked appointment only. Please contact the team to arrange an appointment before coming onto campus.

Students can also get in touch with Student Services by:

  • Calling: 01482 46 2222
  • Live chat: > talk to us > live chat
  • Online: Send a message / ask a question at: > talk to us > ask a question > student services

Our Student Services team will be contacting students directly to check in and offer support. For your information, these calls will be from either a 01482 46XXXX number or they may show as unknown/anonymous. Please make sure your mobile number that the University has is up to date.

Our Student Futures (formally careers), Student Life, Mental Health Support, Disability Inclusion, Learning Support and Immigration Advice are all providing Video and Telephone appointments: call 01482 46 2222 to book.

Where on campus should I wear a face covering?

Unless a government exemption applies to you, a face covering must be worn:

  • When entering and passing through any university building
  • In all indoor university spaces, except where on arrival at your destination:
    1. You are the only person using the room (you must replace your face covering if another person enters the room)
    2. Where a risk assessment has been carried out and has determined that wearing a face covering will lead to increased risk of physical harm (e.g. Chemical labs), or a detriment to teaching/learning
    3. You are a resident in campus accommodation and the space is your bedroom or a shared household area (e.g. kitchen, lounge etc)
What is the position on face covering exemptions?

It is important to remember there are a number of people for whom wearing a face covering is not compulsory. For example, those who are not able to put on, wear or remove a face covering because of a physical condition, mental illness, sensory impairment or disability, and those travelling with, or providing assistance to, someone who relies on lip reading to communicate. A full list of exemptions can be found on the Government website.

Printable exemption cards and mobile phone badges are available from the Government website for anyone who is eligible. We would encourage any student or staff member who is exempt from wearing a face covering to inform their teaching staff (or other staff with whom they interact) that they are exempt. If you see anyone on campus who is not wearing a face covering, please bear in mind that there might be a reason for this. If it is vital that an individual is asked or reminded if they have access to a face covering, this should always be done sensitively.

Posters are in place around campus to remind us about face coverings, as well as that not everyone is able to wear a face covering. We trust that those who should, will, as it is now more important than ever that we look out for the health and wellbeing of others.

Are face coverings required in teaching spaces?

Students and staff are required to wear face coverings in teaching spaces unless they are exempt or where a risk assessment has been carried out and has determined that wearing a face covering will lead to increased risk of physical harm (e.g. Chemical labs). Staff can also remove their face covering in a teaching environment where there is a detriment to teaching/learning if worn and 2 metre physical distancing can be achieved.

Do I have to wear a face covering in my office?

You need to wear a face covering (unless exempt) on entering and moving around the building. You can remove your face covering when you reach your office if it is single occupancy. If it is not single occupancy, you should continue to wear it.

Do I have to wear a face covering when moving around the building or going into someone’s office?

You need to wear a face covering (unless exempt) when moving around the building and when reaching your destination, i.e. a colleague’s office.

Is the wearing of face coverings required in on-campus student accommodation?

Students and staff need to wear a face covering (unless exempt) on entering and moving around the building. Students can remove their face covering when they reach their flat.

I am exempt due to a disability/medical condition, will I be challenged?

Whilst students and staff may be reminded about the usage of face coverings, this should be done sensitively and we will continue to communicate this through eBulletins, posters and digital screens across campus. However, if it makes you feel more comfortable in the event anyone does ask you, you can print an exemption card or phone badge from the Government website, or there will be some available in Student Services at Registration which you can carry with you on campus.

Does the requirement for face coverings apply to visitors and contractors to University premises?

Yes, the requirements regarding face coverings apply to all visitors and contractors who enter University premises as they would do for staff and students. If you are responsible for arranging or facilitating this access please make sure that the requirement to wear face covering (unless exempt) is communicated in advance.

Face coverings on campus – behaviours and expectations

All students and staff are required to adhere to revised campus arrangements, such as observing social distancing measures, new directional guidance (including one-way systems, etc.) and cleaning and hygiene regimes.

All students and staff (except those who are exempt) are required to wear face coverings in all applicable indoor areas.

We continue to encourage appropriate behaviours to maintain the health and wellbeing of all our students and staff.

We will be mindful that some students and staff may have a disability, a medical condition or other reason for not wearing a face covering.

Academic staff should remind students at the start of a face to face session that everyone who can wear a face covering, is expected to wear one and where the nearest outlet is should anyone need to buy one.

Students and staff should be treated with dignity and respect at all times, recognising the sensitivities and concerns presented by the current situation.

Concerns around inappropriate staff behaviour can be addressed through the relevant line manager.

Concerns around inappropriate student behaviour can be raised through the student misconduct office.

Concerns around a need to strengthen communications to reinforce our inclusive values and behaviours can be raised through the Inclusion & Campus Community Team.


Call 01482 462222
Visit MyHull
Weekdays, 9 - 5