Dr Clisby welcomes applications for doctoral research in gender studies, and gender and development
- Suzy Benn, FT PhD Gender Studies, University of Hull scholarship, Ageing Sex and Sexuality: older women’s sexual identities and experiences (2017).
- Fiona de Hoog, FT PhD Social Justice, University of Hull Scholarship, Slavery and Women: female agency in the trade of human beings (2017).
- Lucy Bradshaw, PT PhD Gender Studies, New Lad or Just Like Dad? Young Masculinities and career aspirations in Hull (2017).
- Yoana Nieto Valdivieso, FT PhD Gender Studies, University of Hull Scholarship, The Politics of Memory: narratives of Colombian women guerrillas (2016). Dr Valdivieso-Hare is a postdoctoral researcher at Birmingham University.
- Beverly Orton, PT PhD, Women’s experiences of apartheid in South Africa through the lens of theatre 1985-1995 (2015). Dr Orton is a lecturer in criminology at the University of Hull.
- Mojirayo Afolabi, FT PhD, Gender and agricultural development in Nigeria (2015). Dr Afolabi is a lecturer in gender studies at Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria.
- Tanzina Choudhury, FT PhD University of Hull Scholarship, Gender, employment and social change: female construction workers in Sylhet, Bangladesh (2014). Dr Choudhury is a lecturer in sociology at the Shah Jalal University of Science and Technology in Bangladesh.
- James Turner, FT (ESRC-funded 1+3 programme) "Aquela loirinha, baixinha, não sabe dançar...": An ethnographic account of the accommodation of whiteness within the discourse and practice of the Brazilian female sexual subject in Florianópolis, Brazil (2011). Dr Turner is now Senior Research Associate and GlobalGRACE Project Manager at Goldsmiths, University of London.
- Florence Bamora, FT PhD, Gender and Educational Inequalities in Secondary Education in Ghana (2011). Dr Bamora now works within the educational governmental sector training teachers in Ghana.
- Jenny Ubi, FT MPhil, Widowhood in Nigeria (2011). Jenny went on to work in the social services sector in the UK.
- Arifur Rahman, FT PhD, Women’s employment in the garments industry in Bangladesh: exploitation or emancipation? (2010). Dr Rahman is a senior civil servant in Bangladesh.
- Nneke Ofoegbu-McCourt, FT PhD, Gender and Housing Among the Urban Poor, Abuja, Nigeria (2007). Dr Ofoegbu-McCourt runs a gender and development NGO in both the UK and Nigeria.
- Johar Ali, FT PhD, A Critique of Participatory Development in Pakistan (2006). Dr Ali is Vice Chancellor of the University of Maikland, Khyber Pakhunthwa, Pakistan.
- Ani Margawati, FT PhD (WHO funded), Patterns of Breast Feeding Practice in Semarang, Indonesia: a comparison between women in peri-urban and urban areas (2006). Dr Margawati is a lecturer in health sciences at Diponogoro University, Indonesia.
- Ruth Evans, FT PhD, On and Off the Street: Negotiating Childhood personthe gendered experiences of children in difficult circumstances in Tanzania (2004). Dr Evans became a lecturer in human geography at the University of Reading.
- Francess Azumah, FT PhD, Gender Inequalities in Manufacturing: A Case Study of Food-Processing and the Textiles and Garment Industries in Ghana (2004). Dr Azumah is a lecturer in gender and sociology at the University of Ghana.
Current PhD supervisions
- Lisa Gelbhart, FT PhD, Sociology & Social Anthropology, University of Hull Scholarship, Languages of Emotion: narratives of violence and healing in cross cultural contexts, submitted thesis October 2017
- Alejandra Benitex Silva, PT PhD, Gender Studies, Gender and Cultures of Equalities (GRACE), Marie S Curie Early Stage Research Assistant, Urban Sports and Cultures of Equality, start date September 2016
- Athena Enderstein, FT PhD, Gender Studies, Gender and Cultures of Equalities (GRACE), Marie S Curie Research Assistant, Employing Cultures of Equality, start date May 2016
- Barbara Grabher, FT PhD, Gender Studies, Gender and Culture of Equalities (GRACE), Marie S Curie Early Stage Research Assistant, Cultures of Equality in a City of Culture, start date Feb 2016
- Dr Mike Griffiths, PT PhD, Sociology and Social Anthropology, Social Protection and Resilience in Community-Based Organisations in Myanmar, start date Dec 2015
- Theresa Redmond, FT PhD, University of Hull Scholarship, Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE): the interplay of social and psychological processes, social constructions and narratives that precipitate and maintain involvement in CSE for both perpetrators and victims, start date Sept 2014
- Sarah Colley, PT PhD, Social Justice, Child Sexual Exploitation in the UK, start date Sept 2013