Dr Miles is a lecturer in Spanish who previously taught at the universities of Portsmouth and Leeds.
He teaches literature, art and film on all Hispanic culture modules, as well as contributing to interdisciplinary, cross-departmental modules such as Representations of the Past in European Film.
Dr Miles also teaches Spanish language and translation at all levels.
Presentations and invited lectures:
- 'The Shared Breath: Versioning the Sonnets of Seamus Heaney into Spanish', at The Place for Poetry conference, organised and hosted by the Writers' Centre, Goldsmiths, University of London, May 2015
- 'Reclaiming Revelation: Another Look at Pan's Labyrinth and The Spirit of the Beehive', at the conference Cultural Memory: Forgetting to Remember / Remembering to Forget, University of Kent at Canterbury, Sept 2008
- 'El sueñ o de la nación: The Shadow of Maeterlinck's La vie des abeilles in El espíritu de la colmena' in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, University of Liverpool, May 2008
- 'Spanish Cinema and the Films of Pedro Almodóvar', to A Level students at Hornsea Sixth Form College, East Yorkshire, Feb 2006
- 'Virgin on the Edge: Silvia Pinal as Transnational Trope in Luis Buñ uel's El ángel exterminador', part of the Stars and Stardom seminar series, University of Leeds, Feb 2005. Fuller version presented as part of the Research Seminar Series in the Department of Modern Languages at Hull, Feb 2006
- 'The Sublime and the Ridiculous: Almodóvar Re-Pictures the Nation', part of day-long Homenaje a Almodóvar event at Sherborne School, Dorset, Feb 2005
- Chair of the panel 'Masculinities' at the World Cinemas conference, University of Leeds, June 2002
- 'Agit-Pop: The Work of Equipo Crónica 1961-1981', University of Leeds, March 2002
- 'Developments in Auteur Theory in European Cinema', University of Portsmouth, Nov 2001
- 'Aspects of the National Imaginary in Film under Francisco Franco', Hull Film Festival, May 2001 (Invited by Dr Sarah Wright, University of Hull)
- 'The Monster Function in El espíritu de la colmena', University of Leeds, March 2000
- 'Pablo Picasso's Version of Diego Velázquez's Las Meninas', conference to mark the fourth centenary of Diego Velázquez, University of Leeds, Sept 1999