Dr Slater welcomes applications for PhD research in the areas of composition, production, the aesthetics and poetics of record production, and collaborative creativity.
- Jamie Moore, Robert Glasper's Black Radio: Issues of Style and Identity, University of Hull, 2017 (performance element).
- Rowan Oliver, Rebecoming Analogue: Groove, Breakbeats and Sampling, University of Hull, 2015 (2nd supervisor).
- Niall Thomas, How Has the Development of Technology Influenced Recorded Heavy Metal, University of Hull, 2015 (2nd supervisor).
- Adam Martin, Music Producers in 21st Century Britain: an Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis, University of Hull, 2014
Current PhD supervisions
- Lewis Kennedy, Functions of Genre in Metal and Hardcore Music (musicology)
- Sandy Clark, The Water Fairy (composition)
- George Marshall, Music for Games and Original Instrumental Compositions (composition)
- Stuart McCallum, Collaboration and Ambisonic Composition in Popular Music (composition & production)
- Brice Catherin, Designing New Musical Works as Fairer Social Models (composition)
- Brett Gordon, Sculpting Sound: the Composer's Relationship with Sound Material in Electroacoustic Music (2nd supervisor)