Dr Abt welcomes PhD/MSc applications in the areas of:
1. Sports physiology - monitoring of training load and performance in team sport players.
2. Wearable technology - using consumer wearable technology (such as the Apple Watch) to monitor physical activity and health.
1. Ibrahim Akubat (PhD, 2013)
2. Will Evans (PhD, 2017)
3. Dan Weaving (PhD, 2017)
4. James Bray (PhD, 2018)
5. Gallin Montgomery (PhD, 2018)
Current PhD supervisions
1. Ashley Warner - The effect of cadence-guided walking on measures of physical activity and cardiorespiratory fitness.
2. Aimee Evans - Examining player recovery kinetics in professional football.
3. Ben Greenhough - The efficacy of virtual reality training in professional football.
4. Alaa Khushhal - The use of wearable technology in cardiac rehabilitation.
5. Nikki Bolton - Exercise-induced mitochondrial DNA modification and dietary interventions: Implications for muscle health.
6. Richard Taylor - Monitoring training load in rugby union: The dose-response relationship with fitness and fatigue (Newman University, UK).