David's key areas of expertise are in the field of local and regional development, with a particular focus on the intersection between economy and environment.
Current research involves studies of transition regions and the green economy.
In addition, David has expertise in the areas of green entrepreneurs and also circular economy initiatives.
A recent interest is in the development of 'experience landscapes' for leisure and tourism in rural areas, with a particular focus on mountain bike trail centres.
Professor Gibbs welcomes applications in
- Local and regional economic development
- Low carbon and green economies
- Sustainability transitions
- Eco-industrial development, industrial ecology, circular economy
- Green entrepreneurs
- McEvoy D, Carbon Flows, Jobs and the Environment (2003)
- Horrocks A, ESRC CASE: Environmental Issues and Food Sector SMEs in Yorkshire and the Humber (with the Environment Agency) (2004)
- Collins P, The Information Society and Regional Development in Ireland (2004)
- Proctor A, ESRC CASE: Sustainable Regional Development and Eco-industrial Development (with Yorkshire Forward) (2005)
- Salgado J, Cross-Border Environmental Management in Mexico (2006)
- Hewitson A, ESRC CASE: Transnational Governance and ICTS: The Telecities Network (with Hull City Council) (2007)
- O'Neill K, ESRC CASE, Effective Policy Intervention in Establishing Sustainable Local Food Systems (with East Riding of Yorkshire Council) (2012)
- Lewis C, ESRC CASE, The New Ecologies of Risk: Promoting Economic Development and the Management of Flood Risk in the Humber (with the Environment Agency) (2013)
- Wang Q, The Cross-cultural Transfer of Eco-Industrial Development Strategies (China Scholarship Council) (2013)
- Etriki J, Waste Management Strategies in Tripoli (Libyan Government) 2013)
- Omar S, Sungai Lian Industrial Park: Can Brunei Achieve Sustainable Industrial Development? (Brunei Government) (2015)
- Abdullah M A H, Analysis of the Suitability of the Socio-Technical Transition to the Development of Low Carbon Transportation in Brunei Darussalam (Brunei Government) (2015)
- Yu Z, Sustainability Transitions and Leapfrogging in Latecomer Cities: a Case of the Diffusion of Solar Thermal Energy in China (China Scholarship Council) (2017)
- Cai W, Ecosystem Service Assessment and Valuation, Sustainable Strategies for Regional Cooperation Mechanism in China: a Case study of the Yangtze River Delta Region, China (2018)
- Ramsden S, Big Lottery Fund, Shoots and Leaves: Exploring the Impact of Civil Society Sustainable Place-Making Projects Working in Deprived Urban Areas in the UK (2018)
- Wright L, From the Ground up: Community Food Production Practices for Well-Being, Sustainability and Social Cohesion (2018)
Current PhD supervisions
- Yang H, Analysis of the Evolutionary Development of Liquor Industry Clusters in China from the Perspective of Brands and Branding (China Scholarship Council)