Dr Skinner has been associated with drama and music at the University of Hull since beginning her undergraduate degree here in 1999.
Her teaching interests include theatre directing, Russian and early Soviet theatre, theatre for children, and theatres of the avant-garde.
Alongside her academic work, Dr Skinner is an active theatre director and scenographer, specialising in productions of texts in translation or in multiple languages.
She also has experience as a community theatre practitioner, and in creating performance with and for children, young people and marginalised groups.
- 2015 - ‘CommonSpace, DistancedSpace, SharedSpace: Meyerhold's Imagined Scenographies'
- 2015 - IFTR Scenography Working Group at the Prague Quadrennial (Prague Quadrennial 2015)
- 2014 - ‘The Philosophy of Shadows, or, how Meyerhold's theatre met the challenge of four dimensions' Theatre and Stratification, IFTR World Congress (University of Warwick)
- 2013 - ‘Soviet Afterlives: The Story of Socialist Realist Theatre in the UK' British Comparative Literature Association Triennial Conference (University of Essex)
- 2012 - ‘Quantum Leaps: Scenography, Collage, and Multiple Consciousness as a Model for Theatre in Translation' IFTR Scenography Working Group (Arts and Theatre Institute, Prague)
- 2014 - A Month in the Country (Ivan Turgenev), Minghella Studio, University of Hull (direction and scenography)
- 2013 - The Light in the Piazza (Adam Guettel), Middleton Hall, University of Hull (direction)
- 2013 - Call Me, Love Me (Melanie Ball, in collaboration with the Samaritans, Hull), Donald Roy Theatre, University of Hull (direction and scenography)
- 2012 - The Suicide (Nikolai Erdman), Donald Roy Theatre, University of Hull (direction)