About the course
The National Competency Framework for Adult Critical Care Nurses has been developed to guide nurses to develop the knowledge and skills to provide safe, effective care as part of the multi-disciplinary team. It is now a national requirement for every nurse commencing employment on a Critical Care unit to undertake the Step 1 competencies. This course will provide you with the knowledge and confidence to care for critically ill patients and achieve your Step 1 competencies.
The Step 1 module will be facilitated by Clinical Nurse Educators and supported by University of Hull Lecturers. Where possible teaching will be provided face-to-face, to facilitate the development of skills such as patient assessment, foster engagement and also to maximise the input of clinical educators.
You will have access to online workshops, interactive learning resources and tutorials using the University virtual learning environment (Canvas) to underpin your clinical practice and academic writing with current evidence, and to facilitate discussion.
The module will enable you to develop your practice as you explore the underpinning theory and develop your understanding of
- Anatomy and physiology in health and critical illness
- patient assessment and monitoring
- therapies, including ventilation and medications
- the patient journey and how the critical care team work together to provide safe, effective and compassionate care.
You must be motivated to attend and complete the module, which includes self-directed study. Applicants must have agreement from their manager (where applicable) to enable them to attend the taught elements, complete coursework and contribute to future practice change within their teams.
Students must be either
• Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) registered nurses or Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) registered Operating Department Practitioners.
• Work in a Critical Care Unit, this may include Intensive Care Units (ICU), High Dependency Units (HDU) or units that offer a mix of acuity.
If you would like to discuss this or require any further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Apply online here.
Please email email@example.com with any enquiries
Applicants may be eligible for self-financing through a Student Loan from Student Finance England (conditions apply). Further details are available on application.
Part time 2 trimesters (8 months), commencing in September.