Clinical Psychology FAQs

Clinical Psychology FAQs

We have answered the most frequently asked questions by applicants about applying for and studying the Clinical Psychology Doctorate. If you have any further questions please contact us.

What sort of voluntary work would be counted as relevant to my application?

There is no straightforward answer to this question. Relevant work experience is directly working with people and could mean any work experience that might help you to understand the nature of helping and working with people. Having some exposure to clinical problems would help. Examples of this are shadowing clinicians, working in schools, working in residential homes etc.

How much voluntary work should I do?

Again there is no easy answer to this. The most important thing is not the amount of voluntary work experience you have. We are looking for evidence that you have learnt from the experience in a way that might help you to be a therapist.

How do I get voluntary work?

You can contact any of the following to try and get voluntary work/experience NHS clinical psychology departments, HUSSO, MIND, local voluntary organisations, residential care homes. The Course does not help potential applicants obtain experience. This is your responsibility.

I have had/ have a mental health problem. Will it jeopardise my chance of getting a place?

No, it will not jeopardise your chance of getting a place. We do not discriminate against people who have mental health problems. Applicants however need to reflect on whether they have sufficient personal resilience to meet the demands of the job and training. This is true for all applicants, not simply those who have experienced mental health problems in the past.

I have a disability. Will it jeopardise my chance of getting a place?

No, it will not jeopardise your chance of getting a place. We do not discriminate against people with disabilities. We are happy to work with trainees with disabilities, including enduring mental health difficulties, in ensuring reasonable adjustments are made to enable them to undertake the course.

If I do not apply when I am an undergraduate, would I be able to apply after graduation from Hull/York universities?

No, we do not accept applications from people who have already graduated. For both Hull and York University we accept applications during the third year of undergraduate study. To be eligible to apply, applicants must have already been accepted to undertake specialist clinical modules on the respective Psychology undergraduate degree course. Selection for these takes part in the second year of undergraduate study and the modules are completed in the third year.

How many people apply for the course?

It varies from year to year, but there are always more applicants than places.

How many people are interviewed?

It varies from year to year, but normally about 40 are called for interview.

What are the interview panel looking for?

The main attributes the panel are looking for are commitment, enthusiasm, a good level of interpersonal skills and an ability to think psychologically and link theory to practice. Evidence of ability to present yourself in a professional manner always helps.

Will I need transport?

It would be advisable. It is helpful to have access to a car as trainees may have to travel to distant placements. Some trainees however have managed without.

Where will I go on placement?

Trainees may be sent anywhere on placement. Some of the placement areas are: Hull and East Yorkshire, Scarborough, Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Harrogate, York and occasionally further afield. Trainees are on placement Monday-Wednesday of each week throughout the course. Applicants from York cannot be guaranteed placements in York and should not make arrangements that are based around an expectation that this will happen.

What if I have a criminal record?

All successful applicants have to undertake a criminal records bureau check prior to starting the course. Any previous convictions will be considered on a case by case basis and should not necessarily be a bar to clinical training.

Contact us

School of Health and Social Work
  • University of Hull
  • Hull, UK
  • HU6 7RX