Welcome FAQs

Welcome week - Frequently asked questions

Have a question about registration? Want to get connected to Wifi? Fancy finding out what there is to do in Hull? We've got all your questions answered!


What is pre-registration?

You’ll receive information on pre-registration to your personal email account. You should complete your pre-registration as soon as you can. If you've just confirmed your place with us, you will receive the email within a few days of confirming your place.

Why is registration important, and when is it?

Why is registration important? Because you can’t start your course without it. No, really, if you’ve not registered on to your course by a certain date, you won’t be allowed to continue with your studies. So yeah, it’s fairly important.

Your registration will take place at a set time during the first teaching week of the year, which begins on Monday 24 September. If you haven’t received your day and time yet, don’t worry, your department will let you know at your induction meeting. So don’t miss your induction, and definitely don’t miss your enrolment time.

When do I get my student card?

You’ll get it once you’ve registered. You’ll keep your student card for the duration of your studies. If you lose your card, you can have it replaced, but it’ll cost you £15, so try to look after it.


I'm about to burst with excitement over here, when can I move in?!

Alright, there’s not long to go now! When you can move in depends on where you’re living and we'll be in touch to let you know well in advance.

The Lawns

The move in date for The Lawns is Saturday 15 September and there’ll be lots of welcome activities for you. Hooray! Our staff will help you get moved in, but the time you can pick up your key depends on which hall you’re in.

Student Houses and Taylor Court Flats

Your residence contracts for our Student Houses and Taylor Court commence at 12 noon on Friday 14 September 2018.

You can collect your key from Ask HU - the customer service desk, 2nd floor, University House, on the main campus.

Can’t arrive during Ask HU’s opening hours? No problem – all Student House and Taylor Court keys will be available from our Security Office in the Venn Building who are open 24 hours a day.

Right, I've got my spare underpants and 10 kilos of pasta – anything else I need?

Those are two important things you’ve got there. You’re probably going to want to bring a few other bits and pieces as well, though. Here’s some important things you might’ve forgotten that you should bring with you:

  • Pots and pans
  • Crockery and cutlery
  • Glasses/mugs
  • Food and drink supplies
  • Toilet roll (the importance of this cannot be overstated…)
  • Towels
  • Bedding (see below…)
  • Personal items to transform your bare room into something a little more homely!

There are other things you’ll need to think about bringing for your course and to help you generally when you arrive – you can find out more here. Do remember though that the storage space in your room is limited, so please don’t bring more stuff than you realistically need – probably best to leave your prized Beanie Babies collection at home.

What about bedding? Will I need that?

Yes! There’s always someone who makes the mistake of thinking that you don’t need to bring a duvet, but they’re not provided. You can, however, buy a bedding pack from us via our online store if you wish. All bedding packs purchased will be waiting for you in your student accommodation when you arrive if you order before our deadline of 10/09/17.

Do I need to insure my contents against damage or theft?

If you’re staying in University accommodation, a basic insurance package is provided, and details of what is covered are sent with offers of accommodation. If you have anything particularly valuable, like musical instruments or Ming vases, you’re advised to arrange separate insurance cover.

Staying in private accommodation? Make sure you check with the landlord to see if an insurance package is included and make arrangements accordingly.

All of these questions are making me hungry. What are the meal times in catered accommodation?

The only thing better than good food, is good food that someone else has made for you.

If you’ve chosen to stay in catered halls at The Lawns, you can go for your evening meals at the following times:

  • Monday to Friday: 5pm – 7pm
  • Saturday and Sunday: 5pm – 6.30pm

If you’re staying at The Lawns on a self-catered basis but would like an evening meal there, you can purchase a ticket from the dining hall and enjoy one of our freshly prepared, home cooked meals.

I’m in self-catered accommodation. Where can I go to stock up?

If you’re at The Lawns there are multiple options for getting your weekly shop in. Head in to Cottingham, where you’ll find a large Co-Op, and a Sainsbury’s Local and well as smalller local businesses.

If you’re living on or near campus there are shops within a short walking distance on Cottingham Road and Newland Avenue including Lidle, Sainsburys Local, Tesco Express, and plenty of local businesses including greengrocers, bakeries and frozen foods shops.

What happens during move-in day and my first week?

You’ll be sent a date and time to move into your halls. Friendly students and staff will be on hand to help you move in.

Over the first few days of your arrival, there’ll be a variety of activities and sessions to help you settle in. Please ensure that you attend them as these will give you essential information – they’re also a good opportunity to get to know the other people in your halls.

Your first week is all about getting settled in. Get out there, make new friends, talk to your neighbours – after all, you’re going to be seeing a lot of each other. If you’re in halls, you’ll probably have induction meetings to attend within the first few days – some of these are mandatory, so don’t miss them!

Study-wise, you’ll have sessions with your faculty throughout the week to explain how to find your timetables and amend your learning agreements (module selection or study programme), basically everything you need to know about your time here.

There’s quite a lot to take in, but just make sure you attend every session and read everything you’re given. Some of it might not be massively exciting, but we wouldn’t be doing it if it wasn’t important.

What do I do if I lose my keys?

Oh dear. The first thing you should do is report it immediately. If you’re staying at The Lawns you should report it to your warden. If you’re staying in The Courtyard, Taylor Court or University owned accommodation, you should report it to the Accommodation Office. If you’re staying in private accommodation, please report it to your landlord.

You’ll be charged a fee of £50 for a replacement key. So… probably best to just not lose it, really.

Will I need a TV licence?

Yes. Unless you want to miss your nightly dose of Pointless, that is. If you bring a television with you into University accommodation, you must have a current personal TV Licence. The licence that you use in your family home? Not valid. The national television licensing authority carries out annual checks of student rooms where no TV Licence is recorded. For more information see the TV Licensing website.

I can't even watch stuff on iPlayer? I've heard that there are loopholes...

Nope, sorry – the law has changed, and you can no longer watch BBC iPlayer without a licence (though you can use other services like ITV Player and All4).

Who can I contact if I have a problem during my stay?

There are several means of getting in touch if you need to get help or advice:

Give us a call on 01482 466042 or 466026.
If you’re a current resident in our one of our flats or houses and you have a problem which needs dealing with urgently (such as a gas or water leak), please call our security office on 01482 466868.

In person
AskHU is a one-stop shop for advice and information on a wide range of services, including accommodation. Pop in for a chat, they’re on the second floor of Student Central.

If you'd prefer to drop us an email you can do so at rooms@hull.ac.uk, or headleasing@hull.ac.uk (for head leasing/university leased accommodation enquiries). We aim to respond within 2 working days.


How do I register with the University?

We will email you with instructions on what you need do before you can register with the University.

You will be asked to pre-register, so that we can collect important information from you and allows you to upload a photo for your student card.

You will need to bring some identification and a copy of the registration email with you to complete the registration in person at the time and location specified.

Exact dates and locations for registration events will be confirmed by your department.

I need to make travel arrangements. What date does each semester start and end?

The standard undergraduate semester dates are available here.

Please contact your faculty directly for specific programme and/or other special departmental dates.

How do I open a bank account?

During your first two weeks, you will have the opportunity to open a bank account. There are several different banks to choose from, if you have not already decided. Please visit the banks and select which one you would like to use. If you are arriving in September, you will have the opportunity to meet different bank representatives on campus.

It is sometimes difficult for students who are studying for up to six months to open an account; however, some banks allows students to open basic or savings accounts.

To open a bank account you will need to show the bank:

  1. your passport
  2. your letter of offer to study at the University
  3. an introductory letter from the International Office

During your first two weeks here, the International Office will provide you with an introductory letter for opening a bank account. To receive this, you will need to tell us your chosen bank.

How do I pay for my tuition fees?

The University offers many different ways that you can pay your tuition fees and accommodation fees. For example, you can pay online; with a banker's draft; through direct bank transfer; with cheque, cash, credit card; or direct debit. All fees are payable in GBP sterling.

You can pay your fees at the point of registration, or you can pay 50% of your fees before you arrive. If you pay your fees in full at the point of registration, you will receive a 2% discount on your tuition fees (for payments made by cheque, banker's draft, cash or debit card).

Am I entitled to free NHS heath care?

All international students (non-EU) who are studying in the UK on a course of study of six months or more qualify for National Health Service (NHS) treatment from the beginning of their stay, on the same basis as anyone else who is ordinarily resident in the UK. This means that you can access free NHS health care provision, and you can register with an NHS doctor – known in the UK as a General Practitioner (GP). Most GPs work together in groups, known as GP surgeries.

You will normally register as an NHS patient with a GP surgery, rather than with an individual doctor. You should register with a GP surgery as soon as you arrive in the UK – do not wait until you become unwell, as you may not be able to get the health care you need. The best way is to visit the NHS choices website and enter the postcode of your halls of residence/student house.

Please note that if you have not already been immunised against bacterial Meningitis it is important that you speak to your GP to arrange vaccination as soon as you can.

If you are in the UK for less than 6 months, you must have adequate medical insurance before travelling. You can still register with a GP surgery but will be required to pay for any subsequent consultations or medical treatments.

Who can I contact if I need help?

The International Office gives general help and advice for international students.

Where: Dennison Centre Open: 10 am – 4 pm, Monday to Friday (extended opening hours are provided during Welcome Week and the first two weeks of term).

Telephone: 01482 466904 
Email: international@hull.ac.uk
Website: www.hull.ac.uk/international


When do I get my maintenance loan?

Your maintenance loan is paid straight into your bank account in three instalments – one at the start of each semester, and one after the Easter break. But you won’t receive your first payment until you’ve enrolled – just one more reason why it’s really, really important that you get registered when you’re meant to.

And what about my tuition fee loan? Do I need to do anything about that?

Relax. Student Finance England will pay your tuition fee loan directly to us on your behalf. It’s taken care of. If you’re paying your own tuition fees, please speak to our team in Ask HU about when payments need to be made at askhu@hull.ac.uk or telephone +44(0)1482 462222.

I applied late/through Clearing and have no idea what you’re talking about. How do I apply for student loans?

You really need to sort this out as soon as possible if you haven’t already. Eligible students receive a tuition fee loan to cover the full amount of their course fees. The maintenance loan, designed to help with your living costs, is dependent on your household income, year of study, where you live, and where you are studying.

To apply for this, or to get further information about the funding available to you, please contact Student Finance England on 0300 100 0607 or visit their website.

So I’ve registered, and I’ve not received my maintenance loan. Help?!

If you applied to Student Finance England after the deadline date for this year, it can take longer for you to receive your maintenance loan. If you got your application in on time, then don’t worry, your loan will be coming. It can take up to a couple of days after you registered to appear in your bank account. If it doesn’t, get in touch with Student Finance England and they’ll hopefully be able to resolve it for you.

Can I get any help while I’m waiting for my loan to come in?

Sure – if you haven’t received your maintenance loan on time, you might be eligible to apply for a short-term loan. You’ll need to supply evidence of your student funding application, and four weeks up-to-date bank statement.

To apply for a loan, please visit the AskHU desk on the second floor of Student Central, or call +44 (0)1482 462222.

How can I set a budget?

If you’re leaving home for the first time, one of the biggest challenges is managing your money for the first time. Starting the term with a plan and a realistic budget will help keep your money in check and see you through the year.

Check out our budget calculator to help work out your income and expenses over the course of the academic year and see what you will have left over.

What can I do if I have money problems in the middle of a semester?

Don’t panic – we’re here to help, so don’t ever be afraid or embarrassed to talk to us about it. If you do find yourself in financial difficulties at any point throughout your studies, our financial support team are here to help. Please contact us on +44 (0)1482 462222 or come to the AskHU desk on the second floor of Students Central.

What’s the deal with these bursaries and scholarships I keep hearing about?

We’re glad you asked. We offer a whole range of bursaries and scholarships to help you fund your studies. You’ll be automatically considered and don’t need to apply directly to the University, as long as you gave your consent to share your information when applying for your student finance with Student Finance England. It’s all very clever stuff.

Once we’ve got the information we need, we’ll be able to assess whether you qualify for any of our bursaries. We have to wait for this information to be sent by Student Finance England – sometimes this can take a while to get here, so we’re unable to give you an exact timeframe for confirmation. The first payment date for our bursaries and scholarships is in December.

Got any more questions about this? Get in touch with our Student Finance team at hefunding@hull.ac.uk or on (+44) 01482 466573.


What’s the deal with my user ID and password?

Your user ID is a 6 digit number that you use alongside your password to gain access to almost all of the University’s online services, like Canvas, MyAdmin and your emails. You should go to MyAdmin and change your password to something a bit more memorable as soon as you can.

How do I get on to the WiFi to be able to use these wonderful services/look at cat pictures?

This is one of the first things that you'll want to do when you arrive on campus. Our campus-wide WiFi network is called Eduroam, and thanks to a recent investment it’s one of the most advanced in the world. Yes, really.

To connect, select 'eduroam' from your list of wireless networks and where prompted, enter your user ID followed by @hull.ac.uk (so for example, 123456@hull.ac.uk), type in your password and follow the instructions. Need a bit more help? Don’t worry – you can find out more on our WiFi page (you'll need your login details), or the ICT Service Desk on the ground floor of the Applied Science building will be happy to help.

You’ll notice there’s also a ‘UoH-Guest’ network on campus – this is perfect for friends or family who are visiting for the day. Your accommodation may use KeySurf WiFi – find out more about that here.

What is MyAdmin?

MyAdmin is our fancy central hub for managing your personal information. Login with your user ID and password to update your contact details, access exam results or select study modules. You can also change your password here.

How do I check my emails?

If you want to make sure that you don’t miss any important emails, you can visit mail.hull.ac.uk, use the iHull app (more below) add your university email account to the Mail app on your phone or tablet, or to an email client on your PC or Mac. You can find step-by-step guides on getting started here.

What is Canvas?

Canvas is our brand spanking new virtual learning environment (VLE). It’s a magical place, a one-stop shop to submit assignments, re-watch lectures, download presentations, take part in discussions, and more. It’s important that you check-in to Canvas regularly, as your module leaders will frequently upload new material or make announcements.

I wish there was some sort of mobile-based application so that I could check some of these things on the go…

That’s not really even a question, but have we got news for you. The iHull app is available to download for both iOS and Android. It’s sort of like having a tiny university in your pocket. You can use it to access our latest news, your personalised timetable, emails, campus maps, live bus times, and a whole lot more. Pretty much the only thing it won’t do is go to your lectures for you.

Not got enough space on your phone to download it because you’ve taken too many selfies during WelcomeFest? Not to worry, you can also access the app online!

I’ve forgotten my password already…

It happens to all of us! Don’t worry, there’s a couple of ways to reset it. You can visit MyAdmin and follow the ‘Forgotten your password?’ link to fix this, or you can visit the ICT Service Desk in Applied Science and they’ll be able to help you out.

What is Box?

Box is a simple and secure unlimited cloud storage solution, free to students and staff at the University of Hull. Box allows you to securely store, share and collaborate on documents anywhere in the world on any internet enabled device. To start using your free Box account, once you have your University details visit box.hull.ac.uk and log in with your University email address and password.

Where can I find out more about University ICT services?

SharePoint will become accessible to you when your course starts. Here you can find guides on accessing resources, software to install and much more.

How do I contact the ICT Service Desk?

You can call them on 01482 462010, email help@hull.ac.uk, visit the Ground Floor of the Applied Science Building, or Tweet @HullUni_ICT.


When do we get our timetables?

Your timetable will be available to view in September.

And how do I find it?

There’s a couple of ways. You can either access it through the iHull app (available to download for both iOS and Android or access the app online), or through our dedicated timetabling website.

For more information visit the Sharepoint website (you will need your login details).

If you have any questions please get in touch with our Ask HU team at askhu@hull.ac.uk or telephone +44 (0)1482 462222.

Car parking

Can I bring my car with me?

There’s plenty of parking available for residents at the Lawns, but parking is more restricted on campus.

If you live more than 10 miles away, you can apply for a permit to park on campus. If you live nearer, you can use our pay and display car park for just £1/hour or £2 for the full day. 

Blue badge holders can apply for a permit to park on campus.

So what are the parking arrangements at the different halls of residence?

There are 250 parking spaces at the Lawns for residents and you can use your free bus pass to travel onto campus, or get fit by cycling in. You can even rent a bike from us if you don’t want to bring your own. Drop an email to bikehub@hull.ac.uk to find out more.

If you’re living at a different hall, you can apply for on-road parking from the local council. 

I’m not living at halls, what’s the parking like at other accommodation?

If you’re staying in a student house you’ll need to apply for a parking permit from the local council. Call 01482 300 300 for an application form. On street parking can be in high demand.

And what about parking on campus – it’s restricted, you say?

Yes, parking is restricted on campus during the week between 8.30am and 4pm.

Because we don’t have an infinite number of spaces (our scientists are still trying to work out how to make that a reality), parking permits are limited and are reserved primarily for staff, students with disabilities and students who live more than 10 miles away from campus during term time.

Blue badge holders can apply for a parking permit and there are designated bays all around the campus.

The city

Can you tell me a bit more about Hull?

We sure can. In fact, it’d be our specialist subject on Mastermind. Hull has a rich maritime past, with a confident, cosmopolitan present – the entire city is currently undergoing a massive facelift and is seeing record levels of investment. Hull has built up a reputation for its friendly and colourful people, and as a student, you’ll be very pleasantly surprised by how cheap the cost of living is around here. And of course, we were named UK City of Culture for 2017 and will hold that title until 20212.

What is there to do in Hull?
  • There’s some sort of festival in Hull almost every other week, one of the highlights being the award-winning Freedom Festival, which takes over the city for three days every September. Fun, family-friendly and mostly-free to attend, the festival boasts an unmissable musical line-up featuring both established acts and rising stars. But that's not all - you can also enjoy spectacular street theatre, visual art, dance, poetry and spoken word as you make your way around this Hull favourite.
  • The Fruit Market at Humber Street, close to Hull Marina, has been transformed during recent years. The area is now host to art galleries, studios, Michelin-starred restaurants and the increasingly popular Fruit venue, which hosts club nights, live music, comedy, theatre and spoken word.
  • Princes Avenue's Pave Bar hosts a Jazz night every Tuesday, as well as a regular Comedy Club and other special events. Tuesdays are also a great night to catch some live music in Hull's student quarter with local and national acts playing at the acoustic night at Garbutts on Princes Avenue.
  • The New Adelphi Club off Newland Avenue is Hull's famed music venue, at which bands such as Radiohead, Green Day and Oasis played in their early days. The club also regularly hosts local and up-and-coming international acts, as well as monthly Soul, Reggae and DJ nights.
  • You can often catch stars of the stand-up comedy circuit at Hull City Hall, as well as nationally acclaimed orchestras, choirs, and rock and pop stars.
  • Hull Truck Theatre is a contemporary theatre space specialising in challenging and stimulating productions but also programming live music, children's shows and more.
  • Hull New Theatre reopened in 2017 after a multi-million pound stunning revamp, with extended facilities setting the stage for big-name tours and shows to come to Hull. 
  • The KCOM Stadium hosts football and rugby matches where you can support our Championship League football team Hull City and our Hull FC rugby team. The stadium also doubles as a concert venue where the likes of REM, The Who, Bon Jovi and Elton John have appeared.
  • If it’s retail therapy you’re after, you’ll find it in no short supply. In the city centre, there’s St Stephen’s shopping centre where you’ll find all sorts of big brands, as well as two other large shopping centres: the Prospect Centre, and Princes Quay.
  • For the big kids amongst you, there’s Big Fun, a soft play area FOR ADULTS. Every Wednesday night from 7.30pm to 9.30pm, they hold a student night, where you’re free to run around and unleash your inner child.
  • Fancy a night at the cinema? Hull has four to choose from: Reel in St. Stephen's, Vue in Princes Quay, Cineworld at Kingswood Retail Park (where’s there’s also a massive Hollywood Bowl and plenty of restaurants like Frankie & Benny’s), and the particularly affordable Odeon at Kingston Retail Park.
What’s the nightlife like?

Really great. Whether you're into dance, house, funk, reggae, R&B, hip-hop, pop, electro, 80s/90s, indie or rock, you'll be well catered for with Hull's big selection of nightclubs. Just some of them include:

  • Of course, first and foremost, there’s Asylum, our award-winning on-campus nightclub situated in our Students' Union. Student nights are Wednesday and Saturday, and one Friday a month is Full Metal Jacket night, playing rock music. Asylum also plays host to upcoming and established artists, like Chase & Status, Example, The Libertines and Blossoms.
  • There’s also [w]elly on Beverley Road. Through its associations with the NME, they often showcase emerging talent. Thursday nights are Indie Night (Jelly), Saturday nights are a mixture (Shuffle) and one Friday a month is a Rock Night (Wolfpack) or Drum and Bass (Shinobi).
  • And our final pick is The Piper on Newland Avenue, which was refurbished recently. They hold a hugely popular student night every Monday, and have hosted the likes of Babyshambles and The Enemy.
Where’s best to grab some food or a drink?

There’s no shortage of places for grub on campus, like the recently opened Canham Turner, or Eats and Eats Italia inside the Students’ Union. But if you fancy something a little bit further afield, here are a few options:

  • Princes Dock Street in Hull's city centre is lined with bars and coffee shops, most with an al fresco dining area overlooking Princes Quay and onto Hull Marina. Visit McCoy's and try a speciality coffee or their famous potato wedges.
  • Princes Avenue is known as Hull's cosmopolitan area. Here you'll find there's something for everyone, with restaurants serving cuisines from Asian to Moroccan, Spanish to traditional English fare. With a number of cafe bars staying open until around midnight, the area comes alive on Friday and Saturday evenings. There’s more bars and restaurants than you could ever hope to get to over the course of the year.
  • Newland Avenue is a cheaper, more student-focused avenue, but this doesn't mean limited choice. There's a selection of restaurants such as SleepersRuby Lounge and Roots Bar that stay open until about 2am at weekends. There’s also a hugely popular board game café, The Boardroom, which will serve you drinks whilst you play one of their hundreds of different board games.
  • The city centre has a host of well-known restaurants including Nando's, Prezzo and Ask as well as names unique to Hull, such as Riddlers and Furley & Co.
  • Humber Street is the hub of fine dining in the city, home to the renowned 1884 Dock Street Kitchen an the elegant Ambiente tapas restaurant.
  • Kingswood Retail Park also has a number of well-known restaurant chains such as Frankie and Benny's and Chiquito's.
I’m on a budget. Is there anything I can do for free?

Absolutely. For a start, all of Hull’s popular museums are free. Here’s just a few examples of what you can get up to:

  • On High Street, on the banks of the River Hull, you will find the Museums Quarter which includes Wilberforce House, the Streetlife Museum, Arctic Corsair and the Hull and East Riding Museum.
  • In the city centre, you will find the beautiful Ferens Art Gallery, which is to host the Turner Prize in 2017, and the Maritime Museum.
  • Be sure to follow the famous Fish Trail and spend some time relaxing on Hull Marina.
  • Visit the picturesque Hessle Foreshore and viewing area for the Humber Bridge.
  • Parks such as Pearson Park and East Park are great for a summer walk and also occasionally hold open air events.
  • Hull's coastal nature makes it easy to enjoy a day at the seaside. Nearby beaches include Hornsea, Withernsea, Bridlington and Scarborough.
Where can I find out more about Hull and the surrounding area?

For further information, you can go to the Visit Hull and East Yorkshire website. This also includes details of places to stay in and around East Yorkshire.

Student support, health and wellbeing

Where do I go if I need any help while I’m at uni?

We offer a wide variety of services to help you through any problems you might be having during your time with us. Whether you are experiencing mental health problems, have financial worries or require support due to a disability or learning difference, or if you’re just having problems settling in to University life or getting to grip with your studies we have specialist staff available to offer help in a friendly and confidential way. The Health and Wellbeing Team offers a daily drop in appointment service.

Contact the AskHU desk with your query on +44 (0)1482 462222 or visit them in person – it’s on the second floor of Student Central, and is open 8.45-5.30pm Monday to Friday. The team will then be able to point you to the right service to solve your problem.

How can I stay safe on campus?

Our campus is an extremely safe place to be – we have CCTV across campus, lighting across all areas at night, and frequent security patrols. But as with any place, there are of course certain things you can do to ensure your own safety. If you’re on a night out and want to make sure you get home safely, EYMS offer a night bus service that stops right outside Asylum, and will take you directly to your Halls. Should you wish to, you can pick up a personal alarm from the Security Reception in the Venn Building. And if you see somebody acting suspiciously, you can call our security team on 01482 466868.

Our security team also have an emergency number: 01482 465555. Ring the security team before calling 999 – they’ll call the emergency services for you, as they’ll need to meet them at the campus entrance and guide them to your location.

Do I have to register with a GP in Hull?

If you’re coming to Hull from elsewhere, then yes, the University encourages you to register with a GP. It might seem like a bit of a faff, but it’s really important – you never know when you might fall ill.

Please note that if you have not already received immunisation against bacterial Meningitis please make sure ask your GP for further advice.

To find a GP, visit the NHS choices website and enter the postcode of your halls of residence/student house. Don’t just assume that you’ll be able to get registered at a GP Practice near the University (like the one directly opposite campus) – if you’re living in Cottingham, the chances are you’ll not be in their catchment area.

How can I get a meningitis vaccination? I think I might have had a vaccination already, but I’m not sure.

Public Health England are encouraging all new students to get vaccinated with the Meningococcal ACWY (MenACWY) vaccine.

Talk to your GP before you come to university to get your vaccination, or get it from your new GP surgery in Hull as soon as you arrive.

If you think you have already been immunised against meningitis, ask your GP if you have had MenACWY as it has not always been a part of the National Immunisation Programme.

Older teenagers and young adults who are not vaccinated are at risk of getting meningitis, so get vaccinated to protect yourself and others around you.

I need sexual health advice or support.

No problem. There are a number of agenices who come to Campus to provide confidential and specialist support. FInd out more on our health and wellbeing page.

Where can I go in a medical emergency?

Hopefully you’ll never need to, but there are a number of places you can go to if you can’t wait for a doctor’s appointment.

For minor injuries or illnesses, your best bet is to go to Story Street Medical Practice and Walk-In Centre at the Wilberforce Health Centre on Story Street in the city centre. It’s open from 8am to 8pm every day. You don’t have to be registered there to be able to see a GP, and you can walk straight in and get an appointment (though be prepared for a long wait at busy times). You should try to get an emergency appointment with your GP first if you’re able to/if they’re still open, though.

In a more serious medical emergency, you can visit the Accident and Emergency at Hull Royal Infirmary, situated just outside the city centre (it’s roughly a 10-15 minute walk from the interchange). As per the NHS’s advice, please only use this service for genuine medical emergencies.

If you’re on or near campus, you should phone our security team before calling 999 – they will make the call for you, meet the emergency services at the entrance to the campus, and guide them to your location. You can reach them on 01482 465555 in an emergency. For non-emergencies, call 01482 466868.

Returning students

Do I have to register again this year?

You certainly do. If you’re a continuing student you will still need to re-register for each year of your programme. You will receive a notification, in most cases 26 days before the start of your next academic year, to your University email. The email will have a link to the MyAdmin Site where you will be able to complete Self Service Registration before returning to University.

Do we get a new student card?

Nope, you keep the same card for the entire duration of your studies. Your old card will be reactivated once you've re-registered.

I’ve searched high and low and I can’t find my student card anywhere…

Uh oh. Don’t worry, you can get a replacement card from AskHU in Student Central, but it’ll cost you £15. Unless it was stolen, in which case we might be able to replace it for free.