MA TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) Scholarship
The University of Hull is proud to be a University of Sanctuary. We believe that higher education should be accessible to all on the basis of merit alone and we continue to work to help reduce the barriers to participation in Higher Education faced by those seeking asylum in the UK. To continue that work, and thanks to the support of Northern Dairies Educational Trust, we are pleased to offer a Scholarship which will support a successful candidate to study for a Masters Degree in TESOL.
Closing date: - Monday May 6th 2019
Studentships will start September 2019
About the MA in TESOL
The MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) is designed for any graduate who has a strong interest in language learning and teaching. This course is ideal if you want to acquire an in-depth knowledge of English and how to teach it, and to explore new developments in language teaching such as the use of technology in the classroom.
For this Scholarship (and as part of the standard course requirements for all students to complete a dissertation), the successful applicant will be required to do some teaching on the Talking Hull programme (open Access ESOL classes on campus) and undertake work with local refugee and asylum seeker support groups. This work will be fully supported through direct personal academic supervision.
- A 2.2 Honours degree (or international equivalent) in a relevant subject or appropriate experience in the professional environment.
2. If English is not your first language, applicants should be able to demonstrate the ability to study in English at Masters level (see here for further details)
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for you must meet the following criteria:
- be seeking asylum in the UK, or be the dependent or spouse of someone seeking asylum
- have been granted Leave to Remain following an application for asylum, or be the dependent or spouse of someone who meets the aforementioned criteria
Your application for asylum in the UK (or the application of your parent/guardian or spouse) must have been submitted before you applied to study at the University of Hull.
Applicants must meet the criteria above and be able to provide evidence of their circumstances in order to apply. If your status changes at any point prior to or during your studies, you must notify the University immediately.
The Scholarship includes tuition fees at the ‘home/EU' student rate (£7,000) and a living costs contribution of £6,000 for one year awarded to the successful candidate.
Very important: Before clicking the ‘apply’ link please note:
- In the ‘Personal Statement’ section of the application you must write “Northern Dairies Educational Trust Scholarship” as the first line.
- In the Application you must upload evidence of your immigration status (indefinite, discretionary or limited leave to remain) and/or eligibility to apply for this Scholarship.
To apply for the MA TESOL and this Scholarship please click on the Apply button below.
The award of this Scholarship is subject to interview at the University’s discretion.
Successful applicants will be informed of the award as soon as possible and by 30th May 2019 at the latest.